1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Learning the Lagrangian/Hamiltonian

1. Oct 10, 2009 #1
    Hi all,
    I am taking undergrad classical mechanics this semester and we are using Thorton and Marrions Classical Dynamics book. It's rather terse IMO, and I am looking for some supplementary material to help learn L+H with. What does everybody recommend here?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2009 #2

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I used Taylor's "Classical Mechanics." It probably is not the most rigorous Classical Mechanics text around, but it is extremely well written and great for a first exposure to Calculus of Variations, and Lagrangian and Hamiltonian Mechanics.

Taylor is a great writer and explains things very well. I consider it the "Griffith's E&M" of Classical Mechanics texts.

4. Oct 10, 2009 #3
  5. Oct 11, 2009 #4
    Thanks guys!

6. Oct 11, 2009 #5
    I'll second Taylor's book. I bought it to supplement Marion and Thornton in my classical mechanics class, and there were many concepts that were explained MUCH better in Taylor.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook