1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Classical Lagrangian and Hamiltonian Celestial Mechanics

1. Oct 12, 2016 #1
    Hi folks,

I am looking to learn the Lagrangian and Hamiltonian approach to celestial mechanics - I have previous experience in Newtonian numerical solutions for orbital motion but am looking to achieve similar things but through the use of Hamiltonian formulations.
    After having a poke around this site I have found a few people recommending "Classical Dynamics of particles and systems" as an introductory text to the Lagrangian and the Hamiltonian - is this a good reference for me to use, given the intended application?

Cheers!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2016 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Or perhaps focus on the subject at hand: H. Goldstein Classical Mechanics

4. Oct 13, 2016 #3
    I think that textbook by Marion, to Marion and Thornton that you mentioned is good for that. Goldstein is good but it is more advanced. I think a good reading of Classical Mechanics of Particles and Systems contains more examples than Goldstein and I would read that first. This is coming from a Goldstein fan who read every section and did most problems in the third edition. I also think the Shaums outline series for Lagrangian Mechanics or Theoretical Mechanics provides many examples to learn from. I think reading Goldstein too early runs the risk of learning (or possibly frustration and not learning) many results of advanced mechanics, and being unable to do commonly encountered problems at a lower sophistication.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted