Hamiltonian of the bead rotating on a horizontal stick

Michael Korobov
TL;DR Summary
Why Lagrangian derivative over angle isn't included in the Hamiltonian calculation?
Hi,
In David Morin's "Introduction to classical mechanics", Problem 6.8, when deriving Hamiltonian of the bead rotating on a horizontal stick with constant angular speed, the Lagrangian derivative over angular speed isn't included.
Why is that?
Specifically, the Lagrangian takes form $$L=T=\frac{m {\dot r}^2}{2}+\frac{mr^2\omega^2}{2}=\frac{m {\dot r}^2}{2}+\frac{mr^2{\dot \theta}^2}{2}$$
The Hamiltonian is then calculated as
$$H=\left(\sum_{i=1}^N \frac{\partial L}{\partial {\dot q_i}}{\dot q_i} \right)-L=\frac{m {\dot r}^2}{2}-\frac{mr^2\omega^2}{2}$$
This implies either $$\frac{\partial L}{\partial {\dot \theta}}{\dot \theta}=0$$
or that the only generalized coordinate is ##r## and therefore ##N=1##
Why is that? I understand this relates to ##{\dot \theta}=const## but didn't manage to understand why the partial derivate should be 0.

Later on, in the "Analytical Mechanics" by Hand and Finch, in Question 14 on p.22, there is identical question and then they ask how Hamiltonian looks like if ##\omega=\omega (t) \neq const## which I presume should include Lagrangian dependency on ##\dot \theta##

Thanks a lot,
Michael

Physics news on Phys.org
In the second equation the second term of RHS has plus sign. In the third equation LHS is nonzero.

anuttarasammyak said:
In the second equation the second term of RHS has plus sign. In the third equation LHS is nonzero.
This is the exact solution from Morin.
The equation 6.142 corresponds to the second equation in my question
If we presume ##\omega=\dot \theta## then we have to take partial derivative over it into account, But this doesn't happen.
Looks like I'm missing something obvious...

bead_on_stick.png

Looks like I understood the problem.
The position of the stick is not the dynamical variable as it's a given function of time not depending on initial conditions therefore shouldn't be considered.
So, the system effectively has only one degree of freedom - bead's position on the wire.
Thanks!

1. What is the Hamiltonian of the bead rotating on a horizontal stick?

The Hamiltonian of the bead rotating on a horizontal stick is the total energy of the system, which includes the kinetic energy of the bead and the potential energy due to its rotation on the stick.

2. How is the Hamiltonian of the bead rotating on a horizontal stick calculated?

The Hamiltonian is calculated using the Lagrangian formalism, which takes into account the position and velocity of the bead on the stick as well as the stick's angular velocity.

3. What is the significance of the Hamiltonian in this system?

The Hamiltonian represents the total energy of the system and is used to describe the dynamics of the bead's motion on the stick.

4. Can the Hamiltonian of the bead rotating on a horizontal stick change over time?

Yes, the Hamiltonian can change over time as the bead's position and velocity change, and as the stick's angular velocity changes.

5. How does the Hamiltonian affect the motion of the bead on the stick?

The Hamiltonian determines the equations of motion for the bead on the stick, and its changes can affect the bead's trajectory and speed of rotation.