1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Least Upper Bounds/Supremum Proof

1. Sep 21, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Give a formal proof based on the definition of least upper bounds that the least upper bound of the set {1/2,2/3,3/4,4/5,...,n/(n+1),...} is 1.

2. Relevant equations
    None.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Basically, the best attempt at a solution that I have worked out is as follows:
    assume 1 is not the least upper bound of the set. then, let p be a real number such that p<1 and p>k/(k+1) for some k. (i.e. let p be the "least upper bound"). now, i need to find a number that would somehow bring up a contradiction proving p>1 or that there is a number of the form n/(n+1)>p thus showing p cannot be the "least upper bound". this is where i get stuck. i can't seem to determine a number greater than p which is in the set. i have also tried to start with the trivial fact that n+1>n and try to make something appear, but i get nowhere.

if anyone could give some pointers as to how to continue along with the approach i have already used or lead me towards any approach, it would be greatly appreciated.

thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2009 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You want to find n such that
    [tex]\frac{n}{n+1} > p[/tex]

Take the reciprocal of both sides. This is equivalent to finding n such that

[tex] \frac{n+1}{n}< \frac{1}{p}[/tex]

which is the same as finding n such that

[tex]1+\frac{1}{n} < \frac{1}{p}[/tex]

What can you do with that?

4. Sep 21, 2009 #3
    I dont really see how this how this could help the problem. Could you please elaborate?

Thanks a lot.

5. Sep 21, 2009 #4

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We can change this last line to be

[tex] \frac{1}{n} < \frac{1}{p} - 1[/tex]

But we know [itex] \frac{1}{p}-1>0[/itex] so we can look at its reciprocal. So finding an n equivalent to what you want is finding an n such that (taking the reciprocals of the first inequality in this post

[tex] n > \frac{1}{ \frac{1}{p}-1}[/tex]

And we know the right hand side is a positive real number

6. Sep 21, 2009 #5
    so basically taking any n greater than 1/(1/p - 1) should do the trick right? from what I understand of your suggestion is that taking any n greater than 1/(1/p - 1) would make p>1. am i right?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook