LeBron James' Verizon science experiment

In summary, the current Verizon ad featuring LeBron James in a physics lab shows students studying simple harmonic motion and elasticity. They are using an instrument known as a torsional pendulum, which is featured prominently in the ad. The students are specifically studying section 10.2 of the book "Physics" by John D. Cutnell and Kenneth W. Johnson, which explains the concept of simple harmonic motion and the reference circle. The model used in the lab consists of a small ball attached to a rotating turntable, and figures 10.7 and 10.8 visually demonstrate the concept. Although the student is unsure of the exact name for this instrument, they suggest it could be called a "turntable" or a "spinning thing
Brutonos
In the current Verizon ad featuring LeBron James in a physics lab, there is an instrument displayed prominently in front of each student. What is it?

Physics news on Phys.org
This one?

Borg said:
This one?

Yes

Some kind of a torsional pendulum. Unless you mean something else.

Likes Pepper Mint
Borek said:
Thanks. I was wondering if anyone knew the name of the instrument. Much appreciated.

Borek said:
I don't think so.

The student has his book open to: Page 288 Chapter 10 Simple Harmonic Motion and Elasticity
After some googling, I found the book: Physics, By John D. Cutnell, Kenneth W. Johnson

I believe they are studying section 10.2

10.2 SIMPLE HARMONIC MOTION AND THE REFERENCE CIRCLE
The model consists of a small ball attached to the top of a rotating turntable. The ball is
moving in uniform circular motion...on a path known as the reference circle.

...​

Figures 10.7 & 10.8 show visually what they are studying.

So it's just a spinning thing.
I'm afraid I don't know any fancy names for something that spins, that isn't shaped like a table.
Actually, there are some tables shaped like that. (Google: very long dining tables)
I'm going to say it's a "turntable".

Likes Bandersnatch and Pepper Mint

What is "LeBron James' Verizon science experiment"?

"LeBron James' Verizon science experiment" refers to an ad campaign by Verizon featuring NBA star LeBron James conducting a series of science experiments to demonstrate the speed and reliability of Verizon's 5G network.

What was the purpose of the experiment?

The purpose of the experiment was to showcase the capabilities of Verizon's 5G network by demonstrating how it could be used in real-world scenarios, such as streaming high-quality video and controlling drones.

How did the experiment involve LeBron James?

LeBron James was the spokesperson for the experiment, as well as the star of the ad campaign. He participated in various science experiments to showcase the speed and reliability of Verizon's 5G network.

What science concepts were demonstrated in the experiment?

The experiment primarily showcased the concept of wireless communication and how it can be used to transmit data at high speeds through Verizon's 5G network. It also demonstrated the use of drones, virtual reality, and augmented reality.

Was the experiment successful?

The experiment was successful in achieving its goal of showcasing the capabilities of Verizon's 5G network. It received positive reviews and generated buzz for both Verizon and LeBron James.