LED flashlight, how dangerous are they?

• Thread starter OrbitalPower
  • Start date
LowlyPion
Homework Helper
Yes, the product actually is made in China. It says "lead and other chemicals..." It is an "LED flashlight gun metal" carrying such a warning.
Sounds like a lost in translation issue.

Someone at the factory, told someone else they were making LED flashlights and that guy probably thought to put the Lead warning on the thing. LED = Lead.

It's only an extra letter. It's a homonym. Many factory workers in China are likely not fluent in English. Entropy happens.

Evo
Mentor
I was reading the owners manual for a Toyota I had and it said to "earth the wire". earth, dirt, ground, what's the difference?

russ_watters
Mentor
The difference is that the British don't know the difference between earth and ground and that's how they say it.

http://www.jtbaker.com/msds/englishhtml/w0600.htm" [Broken]
First Aid Measures
Inhalation:
Not applicable.
Whoa. Whoa. Whoa!
Who writes these things? Do they not know how dangerous inhalation of water can be? People don't get cancer from inhaling water, they DIE.
Treatment is... is...... omigosh. I don't know. Heimlich maneuver? CPR? This is so applicable!

Last edited by a moderator:
Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
http://www.jtbaker.com/msds/englishhtml/w0600.htm" [Broken] My favorite part of the sheet is, "For Water: LD50 Oral Rat: >90 ml/Kg. Investigated as a mutagen." What a great job that must have been! Just that nagging control experiment though...
:rofl: Well, the rats getting the water probably did have more incidence of tumors than the ones not given any water. :uhh: ...because they lived more than a couple days! :bugeye:

I wonder how many labs are in compliance with this MSDS?
I doubt very many. Whenever someone would get worked up about the labcoat and goggles specified on an MSDS for something common and harmless, I'd pull up that one on water and show them that ALL MSDS sheets say that.

Last edited by a moderator:
OrbitalPower
Whoa. Whoa. Whoa!
Who writes these things? Do they not know how dangerous inhalation of water can be? People don't get cancer from inhaling water, they DIE.
Treatment is... is...... omigosh. I don't know. Heimlich maneuver? CPR? This is so applicable!

So, I guess they actually make water out to be less dangerous than it really is? :rofl: They're getting to lenient with their standards. :rofl: