How Can I Wire LEDs in a Rocket Launch Controller for a Street Light Effect?

• Thread starter Artest
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker is seeking advice on building a rocket launch controller as practice for building guitar effects pedals and amps. They have found a tutorial online and have a question about wiring LEDs to a key switch in a specific way. They are looking for a simple diagram to help them understand how to do this.
Artest
I'm trying to work my way up to building guitar effects pedals and eventually amps, and I've decided to make a rocket launch controller to get me more comfortable with wiring and soldering, etc.

I'm not sure if this is even the right place for such beginner questions, but some google searching led (no pun intended) me here.

I'm following this tutorial, http://home.earthlink.net/~rbogerjr/
and I've got a couple of questions.

He uses a lamp, I could go that route but I'd like to use LEDs. Either way, my question is still the same. How do I wire it with another lamp/led so that when the key switch is on, the first LED will light up, then when the second switch is on, the second LED will light up and maybe the first one turns off? It doesn't have to turn off but I'd like it to. I've got an enclosure and I'd like it to be sort of like street lights.. green light when it's on, yellow light when you can press fire.. then the red light would be the switch. Cheesy, I know, but who cares!

If someone could rig up the most simple and basic diagram to show me how to do this, I would be eternally grateful. I consider myself pretty effective with google, and I couldn't find an answer or diagram anywhere.

Thanks again in advance

Engineering news on Phys.org
It just occurred to me that you could use a single pole, double throw (SPDT) switch (one that switches between making one circuit and breaking another), which is labelled second switch in my diagram here.

http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/4793/picture2cxx.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Thank you for your question and for sharing your project with us. As a scientist, my advice would be to start small and work your way up to more complex projects like building guitar effects pedals and amps. It's great that you're starting with a rocket launch controller to practice your wiring and soldering skills.

As for your question about wiring LEDs with a key switch, I would recommend doing some research on basic circuit diagrams and understanding how to wire LEDs in parallel or in series. You can also experiment with different resistor values to control the brightness of the LEDs.

In terms of creating a "street light" effect with your enclosure, you can achieve this by using a combination of switches and resistors. For example, you can wire one LED to a switch and a resistor, and another LED to a different switch and a different resistor. When you turn on the first switch, the first LED will light up, and when you turn on the second switch, the first LED will turn off and the second LED will light up.

I would also recommend reaching out to online communities or forums for DIY electronics enthusiasts for more specific advice and tips on how to achieve your desired effect. Good luck with your project!

Related to How Can I Wire LEDs in a Rocket Launch Controller for a Street Light Effect?

1. What is a simple question?

A simple question is a question that is easy to understand and has a straightforward answer.

2. How do I ask a simple question?

To ask a simple question, make sure it is clear and specific. Avoid using jargon or complicated language. You can also break down your question into smaller parts if needed.

3. Why is it important to ask simple questions?

Asking simple questions helps to ensure that the information being communicated is easily understood. It also promotes clear and effective communication between individuals.

4. What are some examples of simple questions?

Examples of simple questions include: What time is it? How do I get to the nearest gas station? What is the capital of France?

5. Can a simple question lead to a complex answer?

Yes, a simple question can lead to a complex answer if the topic being discussed is complex. However, the question itself should still be straightforward and easy to understand.