1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Left hand trhread versus right hand thread

1. Sep 7, 2011 #1
    Does a left hand thread offer any advantages over a right hand thread?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2011 #2
    Left pedals on most bicycles have left-hand threads to keep the pedal from unscrewing. Some cars (MGs, e.g.) used to have left-hand lug nuts on the left side, but that's not so common anymore. Some circular saw blades are secured with left-hand nuts for a similar reason.

Turnbuckles obviously have opposite handed threads on either end.

Fuel gas bottles have left hand threads & oxidizer gas bottles have right hand threads as a safety measure for welders. That's why the propane tank on your gas grill is left-handed.

4. Sep 7, 2011 #3

hotvette

Homework Helper

When I was a teenager I nearly stripped the lug nut studs on my Mom's '65 Dodge when changing a flat. The nut seem to be getting tighter and a friend watching suggested it might have a left hand thread, which it did.

5. Sep 9, 2011 #4

LJW

They prevent unscrewing in applications where the screw fixes a rotating object, and also help to differentiate gas from hydraulic/liquid/etc lines in cars, burners, etc.

6. Sep 14, 2011 #5
    Are u saying that gas lines are always fitted with left hand theads???

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook