Turnbuckles and loss of preload

Juanda
Turnbuckles have a right hand thread and a left hand thread.

1701807360925.png

That implies that if I pull from both ends, the turnbuckle will resist the tension because the inner body would need to twist both ways simultaneosly to become unscrewed. The same applies to the compression case.

However, can they become loose against vibration? From what I just wrote about them it'd seem like that's not possible but it feels very weird to me. As long as the threaded rods are not allowed to turn, the turnbuckle should not be able to do it either so the preload/position will remain the same.

I know turnbuckles are sometimes locked in place using jam nuts or lock wire but I don't know if that's in cases where the rods could turn independently or if there is a mechanism that could cause a loss of preload even in the scenario I described.
I assume, as a safety measure, it's always convenient to use something like a jam nut but I would like to confirm if it is really necessary in the case where the threaded rods are not allowed to turn.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Juanda said:
That implies that if I pull from both ends, the turnbuckle will resist the tension because the inner body would need to twist both ways simultaneosly to become unscrewed. The same applies to the compression case.
I don't think that's right. If you twist the TB one way, it pulls both screws in, and visa-versa. So if it weren't for friction of the screw surfaces in the TB, tension would unwind the TB and the two ends would separate, no?

Likes Juanda and Lnewqban
You're totally right. My description was incorrect. Additional locking measures are necessary to prevent the loss of preload.
I'm now wondering if it'd possible to make them with both threads in the same direction to avoid that loss of preload. The adjustment of length would not be as convenient but the joint should keep the same length at all times so the preload is sustained.
The middle body could move until it hits one end but as long as enough thread is still engaged in both sides when the collision happens it'd work I believe.

Juanda said:
I assume, as a safety measure, it's always convenient to use something like a jam nut but I would like to confirm if it is really necessary in the case where the threaded rods are not allowed to turn.
The turnbuckle must be locked somehow. Otherwise, some small boy will come along and adjust it while trying to find out how it works.

Since there is a left-hand and a right-hand thread, a jam nut, or lock nut, will be placed on the right-hand threaded side.

You could replace a turnbuckle with a threaded rod and two or more nuts, but it would be less convenient.

Baluncore said:
The turnbuckle must be locked somehow. Otherwise, some small boy will come along and adjust it while trying to find out how it works.

Since there is a left-hand and a right-hand thread, a jam nut, or lock nut, will be placed on the right-hand threaded side.

You could replace a turnbuckle with a threaded rod and two or more nuts, but it would be less convenient.
For sure. My interest though is more related to the mechanism of the turnbuckle and not the turnbuckle itself.
As usual in this forum, I'm talking about something I cannot give too many details about and give you the full picture although I'd love to. I will try to describe it as accurately as possible without crossing any line.

Image a structure partially held by articulated rods. Now these rods are adjustable in a similar way to a turnbuckle. I don't know if the word turnbuckle would still describe the rod but it's the best way I knew how to describe it. This structure will be tested against vibration so a locking mechanism like a jam nut, locking wire, adhesives, and/or others will be used. But I wanted to confirm how these turnbuckles could come loose in the first place.
I have already confirmed I was imagining the turnbuckle mechanism wrong so this thread already taught me something very useful. I would say the last detail to iron out is:
Is it worth it to make both threads in the same direction to prevent the loss of preload? The adjustment process would be way more inconvenient (even impossible depending on the space available) but it might be safer (the reasoning for this is at #3).

By the way, in case you're worrying, the structure does not put any lives at risk in case of failure or anything like that.

Juanda said:
Is it worth it to make both threads in the same direction to prevent the loss of preload?
Yes, but then you could not adjust it and the device would be redundant.

Turnbuckles are used to apply tension, or change the length of a rod.
Turnbuckles come loose due to vibration.

The opposite of a turnbuckle is probably a "coupler nut", "hex coupler nut" or a "joiner nut". It can be used to join two screw threads with a small but variable gap.

A fine length-adjustment device that uses two same-hand threads is a "differential screw".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Differential_screw

Likes Juanda
All right I got a much clearer idea now. Thank you all for the input!

Likes berkeman
The types shown in the pictures are used for supporting heavy exhaust piping of internal combustion engines and for belt tensioners.
Note the counter-nuts and the flexible elements for control of vibration.
crm_group_inc_monolux.png

y-cable-screw-background-metal-equipment-141625476.jpg

Likes Juanda
In addition to possible vibration of the attached cables, the daily alternating heating and cooling of the turnbuckle and attached cabling can loosen the turnbuckle.

• Informative
Likes Juanda and berkeman

What is a turnbuckle and how is it used?

A turnbuckle is a device used to adjust the tension or length of ropes, cables, tie rods, and other tensioning systems. It typically consists of two threaded eye bolts, one screwed into each end of a small metal frame, one with a left-hand thread and the other with a right-hand thread. By rotating the frame, the bolts are drawn together or pushed apart, adjusting the tension of the cable or rod attached to each eye bolt.

What causes the loss of preload in a turnbuckle?

Loss of preload in a turnbuckle can occur due to several factors including vibration, improper installation, material fatigue, and environmental conditions such as temperature changes and corrosion. Vibration can cause the threads of the turnbuckle to loosen, especially if not properly secured or if lock nuts are not used. Improper installation might result in insufficient initial tension, leading to slack and eventual loss of preload.

How can the loss of preload in turnbuckles be prevented?

To prevent the loss of preload in turnbuckles, ensure proper installation with the correct initial tension and use of locking mechanisms such as lock nuts or thread-locking adhesives. Regular inspections and maintenance are also crucial to detect and rectify any loosening or wear. Additionally, using turnbuckles made from suitable materials for the given environmental conditions can help mitigate corrosion and fatigue issues.

What are the implications of preload loss in structural applications?

Preload loss in structural applications can lead to reduced structural integrity and safety. It may cause excessive movement, misalignment, or even failures in structural components. This not only compromises the stability of the structure but can also lead to catastrophic failures if not addressed promptly, especially in critical applications like bridges, towers, and cranes.

How often should turnbuckles be inspected to ensure they maintain preload?

The frequency of inspections for turnbuckles should be based on the application, environment, and load conditions. For critical structural applications, inspections should be more frequent, potentially every few months or as specified by a structural engineer. For less critical applications, annual inspections might suffice. Always refer to manufacturer guidelines and industry standards for specific inspection intervals.