Right handed co-ordinates and Left handed co-ordinates

• Thread starter Slimy0233
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Coordinates
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of left-handed coordinate systems in physics courses and the confusion it may cause. The individual also asks for guidance on how to properly post images on the forum and receives instructions from others. The conversation ends with a recommendation to link to the original source when posting third-party images.
Slimy0233
Has it ever happened that your professor has used left handed co-ords instead of right handed co-ords, which we generally use? Has this ever caused you any confusion.
tcuFNM3l.png.jpeg

I found this on 'David J. Griffiths - Introduction to Electrodynamics-Pearson (2013)' and I was wondering if this was something I needed to remember. I mean, does this cause regular confusion? Don't we always use right handed co-ords as the ONE TRUE CO-ORDINATE SYSTEM (for Cartesian)

Edit: I could have posted this on General Math forum here, but I felt like it really didn't deserve that attention.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I can't remember any physics courses where a left-handed coordinate system was used. Certainly I would expect anyone using a left-handed coordinate system to state it clearly.

Likes Slimy0233
Slimy0233 said:
Ugh... I didn't know I could not post images here.
Yes, you can. If you have an image file on your computer or device, click the "Attach files" button at the bottom left of the message-editing box, choose the file, and upload it. You'll see a thumbnail image with an "Insert" button on it. Place the text-editing cursor at the point where you want to insert the image. On the thumbnail, click "Insert", then "Full image".

In the toolbar at the top of the message-editing box, the image button lets you upload an image either by dropping it into the indicated box (haven't tried it myself), or by giving a link to an image on the web. With the link option, you need a direct link to the image, not the page it's on. Some image hosting sites like imgur make you jump through hoops to get a proper image link.

Likes Slimy0233
jtbell said:
Yes, you can. If you have an image file on your computer or device, click the "Attach files" button at the bottom left of the message-editing box, choose the file, and upload it. You'll see a thumbnail image with an "Insert" button on it. Place the text-editing cursor at the point where you want to insert the image. On the thumbnail, click "Insert", then "Full image".

In the toolbar at the top of the message-editing box, the image button lets you upload an image either by dropping it into the indicated box (haven't tried it myself), or by giving a link to an image on the web. With the link option, you need a direct link to the image, not the page it's on. Some image hosting sites like imgur make you jump through hoops to get a proper image link.
I wonder why I didn't find it when I was searching for it then. Probably an error on my side. What should I do now? Posting third party links to images is against the rules I think

Slimy0233 said:
What should I do now?
If you don't see an "Edit" button on your post (there's a short time window where you're allowed to edit), I suggest first getting a suitable image link (test it in your browser). Then hit the "Report" button on your post, which sends a message that all the mentors (moderators) can read. Ask them to edit your post so as to fix the image link. And include the proper link, of course.

In my opinion, linking to third-party images falls under this section of our rules:

Never post an article in its entirety. When posting copyrighted material, please use small sections or link to the article. When posting copyrighted material please give credit to the author in your post.

So if you post a third-party image, you should also link to the page that it comes from.

jtbell said:
In the toolbar at the top of the message-editing box, the image button lets you upload an image either by dropping it into the indicated box (haven't tried it myself),
I've now actually tried it, and I like it better than the "Attach files" button!

1. Click the image button. For me, the upload option is already selected, with a dashed box to drop an image file icon onto.

2. Instead of dropping a file (since I'm using an iPad), I clicked (tapped) the dashed box, and was able to select a photo from my photos library. I assume on a desktop or laptop I'd get a standard file-selection box.

3. Selecting the image causes it to be uploaded and inserted into my post (at the current cursor location) in one step.

After all those years of using "Attach files" and then inserting as separate steps... :doh:

Likes Slimy0233
jtbell said:
I've now actually tried it, and I like it better than the "Attach files" button!

1. Click the image button. For me, the upload option is already selected, with a dashed box to drop an image file icon onto.

2. Instead of dropping a file (since I'm using an iPad), I clicked (tapped) the dashed box, and was able to select a photo from my photos library. I assume on a desktop or laptop I'd get a standard file-selection box.

3. Selecting the image causes it to be uploaded and inserted into my post (at the current cursor location) in one step.

After all those years of using "Attach files" and then inserting as separate steps... :doh:
I usually post form clipboard, that seems to be much more easy to do than attaching images. But nevertheless, I doubt if I found any of these options when I was posting. Thanks for your guidance here :)

Not science, but if you play Minecraft it uses a right-handed coordinate system but with the first and third coordinates being horizontal and the second coordinate being vertical height. So the horizontal plane has an induced left-handed coordinate system. That messes me up all the time when I'm playing with my son.

And it's actually quite common to use right-handed systems in computer graphics. My guess is because reading across-and-down from an origin in the top left is quite natural for English readers.

Last edited:

1. What is the difference between right-handed and left-handed coordinates?

Right-handed coordinates follow the convention that the x-axis points to the right, the y-axis points up, and the z-axis points towards the viewer. Left-handed coordinates, on the other hand, have the x-axis pointing to the left, the y-axis pointing up, and the z-axis pointing away from the viewer.

2. How do I know if a coordinate system is right-handed or left-handed?

To determine if a coordinate system is right-handed or left-handed, you can use the right-hand rule. Simply point your right hand's index finger in the direction of the x-axis, your middle finger in the direction of the y-axis, and your thumb will point in the direction of the z-axis. If your fingers curl in a clockwise direction, it is a right-handed coordinate system. If they curl in a counterclockwise direction, it is a left-handed coordinate system.

3. Can I convert between right-handed and left-handed coordinates?

Yes, it is possible to convert between right-handed and left-handed coordinates by simply changing the direction of the x-axis. This can be done by flipping the sign of the x-coordinate for each point in the coordinate system.

4. Are there any applications that use left-handed coordinates?

Yes, there are some applications that use left-handed coordinates, such as some computer graphics and virtual reality systems. However, the majority of applications use right-handed coordinates.

5. Is one type of coordinate system better than the other?

Neither right-handed nor left-handed coordinates are inherently better than the other. It ultimately depends on the application and personal preference. Some people find it easier to visualize right-handed coordinates, while others prefer left-handed coordinates. Both systems have their own advantages and disadvantages, so it is important to choose the one that works best for your specific needs.