Left passenger rim gets really hot

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hot
In summary, the speaker is experiencing a problem with their 2004 Honda Accord where the back left rim gets hot to the touch and emits a burning rubber smell. Suggestions from others include checking the brake system, wheel bearings, and U-joint for any issues. The speaker also mentions the possibility of a car body rubbing on the tire or issues with the rear differential. They advise inspecting the car to determine the cause of the heat and smell.
I've noticed on my 2004 Honda Accord that my back left rim gets unusually hot (hard to touch and can feel the radiation) and there is some smell of burning rubber. Any ideas?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Greg Bernhardt said:
I've noticed on my 2004 Honda Accord that my back left rim gets unusually hot (hard to touch and can feel the radiation) and there is some smell of burning rubber. Any ideas?

Drum brake maybe dragging? When was the last time the brakes were serviced?

Jack up the rear, check if the brakes are stuck on. Check the tyre for anything unusual too.

Is there a noticeable noise?

park brake not releasing due to rusted cable?

As the other have said, my first thought is the brake system. I would not, however, rule out the possibility of a bad wheel bearing or U-joint.
Is there any unusual sound in your car? The smell of burning rubber, along with the heat, could indicate that your tire is rubbing on something.

hot rear wheel

there is a finite number of possibilities
car body rubbing on tire may cause rubber smell but not likely

running brake shoes or pads down to metal will do this but you would have heard the brake noise way before it welded in...hopefully...that is why disc brakes have wear tabs..

all rear wheels have wheel bearings which have a rubber bearing seal..should road salt or acid rain eat into t he seal and the bearing rusts we have friction,,easy to check
stuck parking brake or brake actuating cable may be rusted to the extent it freezes in the position where it will not properly release.
same may happen with rear disc brake pads if piston sticks in actuated position because the rubber brake hose is pinched closed..not likely as both rear caliper pistons would be effected..but..each rear caliber has steel brake lines that plumb to each caliber from the Tee fitting that the brake hose is connected to,,,.you may have a pinched brake line caused by running over some road hazard, thus locking a caliper piston in the actuated position
same can occur with brake shoe piston on non disc brake systems.
in all cases - heat is not a good sign and points to a friction condition. Some thing is causing this and inspection is in order..if car is rear wheel drive,,same as above can occur..if rear differential fluid is too low or not present you will hear major gear noise and bearing whine..

hope this helped

What causes the left passenger rim to get really hot?

There are several potential causes for a hot left passenger rim. It could be due to a malfunctioning brake caliper, a stuck brake pad, or a dragging brake pad. It could also be caused by low brake fluid or a damaged brake line.

How can I prevent my left passenger rim from getting too hot?

Regular maintenance and inspection of your vehicle's brakes can help prevent the left passenger rim from getting too hot. This includes checking the brake fluid level, replacing worn brake pads, and ensuring that the brake calipers are functioning properly.

Is it safe to drive with a hot left passenger rim?

Driving with a hot left passenger rim can be dangerous as it can lead to brake failure and loss of control of the vehicle. It is important to address the issue as soon as possible to prevent accidents or damage to your vehicle.

How much does it cost to fix a hot left passenger rim?

The cost of fixing a hot left passenger rim can vary depending on the cause of the issue. It could be a relatively inexpensive fix, such as replacing brake pads, or it could be more costly if there is damage to the brake system that requires repairs or replacements.

Can I fix a hot left passenger rim myself?

It is not recommended to try and fix a hot left passenger rim yourself unless you have experience and knowledge in vehicle maintenance and repair. It is best to take your vehicle to a certified mechanic who can properly diagnose and fix the issue to ensure your safety on the road.