Lenz law how to find dA/dT and O?

In summary, the conversation discusses the application of Lenz's law to a problem involving finding DA/dt and o. The equation for EMF is reduced to a functional form, and using Ohm's law, the average current can be calculated. The final state is determined to be two equilateral triangles with sides of length 3m. The conversation concludes with a thank you and well wishes.
Nicolas01
Homework Statement
The square loop in Figure P31.26 is made of wires with total series resistance 10.0 (. It is placed in a uniform 0.100-T magnetic field directed perpendicularly into the plane of the paper. The loop, which is hinged at each corner, is pulled as shown until the separation between points A and B is 3.00 m. If this process takes 0.100 s, what is the average current generated in the loop? What is the direction of the current?
Relevant Equations
Lenz law
figure 31.16.PNG
Picture (2).jpg

Hello,
I am new and I have a question about the lenz law. How I am suppose to find DA/dt and o in this problem? A= 9 but D(9)/dt is equal to 0 ? And I don't really know what is the angle o means in this formula. If I found the voltage i can find the current with I= eps/Req .

Physics news on Phys.org
It won't work if you just differentiate a value, you must be working with functional forms. Since ##\cos{\theta} = \vec{B} \cdot \vec{A} = 1##, your equation for EMF will reduce to $$\mathcal{E} = -B\frac{dA}{dt}$$Since it asks for average current, you can work out the average EMF by changing that derivative to a ratio of finite changes,$$\langle \mathcal{E} \rangle = -B\frac{\Delta A}{\Delta t}$$It is not clear to me what the starting configuration is. Are we to assume that initially the distance between A and B is zero (i.e. the initial area enclosed is zero), and that we pull them apart until they are at a separation of ##3 \text{m}##? If so, you should be able to calculate the change in area during the process (the final state is two equilateral triangles) and with ##\langle \mathcal{E} \rangle## you can find ##\langle I \rangle## with Ohm's law.

Likes Nicolas01
etotheipi said:
It won't work if you just differentiate a value, you must be working with functional forms. Since ##\cos{\theta} = \vec{B} \cdot \vec{A} = 1##, your equation for EMF will reduce to $$\mathcal{E} = -B\frac{dA}{dt}$$Since it asks for average current, you can work out the average EMF by changing that derivative to a ratio of finite changes,$$\langle \mathcal{E} \rangle = -B\frac{\Delta A}{\Delta t}$$It is not clear to me what the starting configuration is. Are we to assume that initially the distance between A and B is zero (i.e. the initial area enclosed is zero), and that we pull them apart until they are at a separation of ##3 \text{m}##? If so, you should be able to calculate the change in area during the process (the final state is two equilateral triangles) and with ##\langle \mathcal{E} \rangle## you can find ##\langle I \rangle## with Ohm's law.
20200811_123245.jpg

Thanks i got the right answer but i don't know how you found that final state is two equilateral triangles? Because if AB=3 what the length of the other sides. Thanks again

Nicolas01 said:
Thanks i got the right answer but i don't know how you found that final state is two equilateral triangles? Because if AB=3 what the length of the other sides. Thanks again

All of the wires are given to be of length ##3\text{m}## :smile:

• Informative
Likes Nicolas01
etotheipi said:

etotheipi said:
Ok i got it, thanks you for helping ! Have a nice day

Likes etotheipi

1. What is Lenz law?

Lenz law is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that states that the direction of an induced current will always oppose the change in magnetic flux that caused it.

2. How do you calculate dA/dT?

dA/dT, also known as the rate of change of magnetic flux, can be calculated by taking the derivative of the magnetic flux (A) with respect to time (T).

3. What is the significance of dA/dT in Lenz law?

dA/dT is significant in Lenz law because it represents the strength of the induced current and the direction in which it will flow.

4. How do you determine the direction of the induced current in Lenz law?

The direction of the induced current can be determined using the right-hand rule, where the thumb points in the direction of the changing magnetic field and the fingers curl in the direction of the induced current.

5. How can Lenz law be applied in real-life situations?

Lenz law is commonly applied in the design and operation of electric generators and motors, as well as in electromagnetic braking systems. It also explains the phenomenon of eddy currents in conductive materials.