1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Let f be a continuous real function on a metric space X. Let

1. Nov 25, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let f be a continuous real function on a metric space X. Let Z(f) be the set of all p in X at which f(p) = 0. Prove that Z(f) is closed.

2. Relevant equations

Definition of continuity on a metric space.

3. The attempt at a solution

Proof. We'll show that X/Z(f) = {p in X s.t. f(p) ≠ 0} is open. Choose p in X/Z(f). Since f is continuous, for every ε > 0 there exists a ∂ > 0 such that d(f(x),f(p)) < ε whenever d(x, p) < ∂.

..... Unfortunately, I suffered a brain hemorrhage before I could finish this. I think I was trying to show that p is an interior point of X/Z(f). Thoughts?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2011 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'd look into getting the brain hemorrhage treated. What might be confusing you is that you are using 'd' for the metric on R as well as on X. How about writing the metric on R as |f(x)-f(p)|<epsilon. Now pick epsilon=|f(p)|/2. Can f(x) be zero?

4. Nov 25, 2011 #3

Bacle2

Science Advisor

Another approach: if f is continuous the inverse image of an open set is open, and the inverse image of a closed set is ....., and the subset {0} of the real numbers is ..... in the reals.

5. Nov 28, 2011 #4
    Hold on a sec ...... Could you take a quick look at the solution on this UCLA Math website? http://www.math.ucla.edu/~elewis/Math230PDFs/Math%20230b%20HW1.pdf It's only 3 lines long and seems sketchy. How do we know that {0} is closed in our space X? If X = ℝ, then it would work out; but we're not given that.

6. Nov 28, 2011 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It does not say {0} is closed in X. It's says {0} is closed in R. Therefore f^(-1)({0}) is closed in X.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook