Let G be a group and H a subgroup. Prove if [G:H]=2, then H is normal.

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 10K views
mathmajor2013
Messages
26
Reaction score
0
Let G be a group and H be a subgroup of G. Prove that if [G:H]=2, then H is a normal subgroup of G.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm lost on this one. It doesn't make sense how the number of left cosets corresponds to the normality. #gH=#Hg doesn't seem like it necessarily means that gH=Hg.
 
That [G:H]=2 means that there are only two left cosets of H. Also, it means that there are only two right cosets of H: H and G\H.

Thus gH is H or G\H, and for Hg thesame thing. Does this help you?
 
I thought that G/H was the set of left or right cosets, not a coset itself? But yes that does help, thank you!
 
No, I mean G\H, not G/H. With G\H, I mean the set-theoretic difference, i.e. everything in G which is not in H.