Let Y denote the following subset of ( )

• Thread starter Jamin2112
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses how to determine if a set A is open in a subset Y of a topological space X. It is mentioned that the topology of Y is needed, which can be created by taking the intersection of the topology of X with Y. The use of open balls is suggested to show that a set is open, and it is also mentioned that a set can be shown to be open if its complement is closed. The definition of open and closed sets is also brought up.
Jamin2112
Let Y denote the following subset of ... (URGENT!)

Homework Statement

screen-capture-1-38.png

Homework Equations

None.

The Attempt at a Solution

Halp! This is the last problem on my homework which is due tomorrow.

I don't know how to start this because, according to my textbook (Munkres), when we check whether a set A is open in Y, we are asking whether it belongs to the topology of Y. But I know nothing about the topology of Y, the subspace topology, because I first need to have a topology defined on ℝ2 in order to have a subspace topology.

From the book:

Definition. Let X be a topological space with topology T. It Y is a subset of X, the collection

TY = { Y intsct U | U in T}

is a topology on Y, called the subspace topology.

Physics news on Phys.org

i haven't studied topology, but I've studied a little bit of metric spaces. do you use concepts like open balls to show a set is open?

phiiota said:
i haven't studied topology, but I've studied a little bit of metric spaces. do you use concepts like open balls to show a set is open?

Yes.

okay, so for the first one, can you construct an open ball around any point in A that is contained in A? If you look at Y on a cartesian plane, you have all the points (x,y) where x>0, and y>=0. if you look at A, you have all the points where x>0, and y>0. for every point a=(xo,y0) in A, is there some r>0 st S(r)(a) is contained in A? (Sorry if my notation is a bit off). It looks like it. if you take r to be the min of d(x,0) and d(y,0), then shouldn't that ball be contained in A?

alternatively, what about it's complement? if it's complement is closed, then your set is open, right?

btw, there are relevant equations. what is the definition of open and closed?

phiiota said:
okay, so for the first one, can you construct an open ball around any point in A that is contained in A? If you look at Y on a cartesian plane, you have all the points (x,y) where x>0, and y>=0. if you look at A, you have all the points where x>0, and y>0. for every point a=(xo,y0) in A, is there some r>0 st S(r)(a) is contained in A?

Yes.

And when I look at the complement of A to see whether A is closed, I'm looking at Y\A is see if for every x in Y\A there exists an open ball containing x and contained in A. Right?

1. What is the definition of Y in this subset?

In this context, Y denotes a specific set or group of elements that is a smaller part of a larger set. The exact definition of Y will depend on the specific context in which it is being used.

2. How is Y related to the larger set?

Y is a subset of the larger set, meaning that it contains elements that are also found in the larger set. However, Y may also contain other elements that are not part of the larger set.

3. Can you provide an example of Y in this subset?

Without knowing the specific context of the subset, it is difficult to provide a specific example of Y. However, imagine the larger set is a group of all fruits, then Y could be a subset of just red fruits, such as apples, cherries, and strawberries.

4. Is Y a finite or infinite subset?

This will again depend on the context of the subset. Y could be either finite or infinite, depending on the elements included in the larger set and the specific criteria for inclusion in Y.

5. How is Y different from the larger set?

Y is a smaller subset of the larger set, meaning that it contains fewer elements. It is also possible that Y may have different characteristics or criteria for inclusion compared to the larger set.