Letter of reference/recommendation for a PhD

• Admissions
  • Thread starter The Moon Gauge
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Phd
In summary, it is up to you to successfully interleave these into your application without sounding foolish and that is a fine art.
The Moon Gauge
Hi, I am planning to request some letters of recommendation for a PhD theoretical physics application. Could you please adivse on specific elements that will make the perfect letter with the best chance of getting offers. For instance is could be about my soft skills, my undergrad grades and other abilities... Thank you

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think you get to dictate (or even suggest) what goes into your recommendation letters, unless there are guidelines from the university that you are applying to. The folks who write PhD recommendation letters would presumably know what they are doing, no?

You don’t get to write your own letters of recommendation. That is up to the people you ask to write them. In most cases you will not even see the letters of recommendation.

Hi, I am aware that I do not have access to those letters. Most of the uni I have checked provide some guidelines with the kind of recommendation they prefer. The thing is that guidelines are not always very specific and it's a bit similar to cover letters where some get a "go" and others get a "no go". I want to know what are the things and kind of gem that they are looking for in a recommendation for PhD applications. Moreover, regarding the (very busy folk who is most probably not a fan of admin stuff...) who write the letter, not only it is always better and clearer to give some specific elements but also it might have been a long time that the folk hasn't written a letter of this kind.

The Moon Gauge said:
Most of the uni I have checked provide some guidelines with the kind of recommendation they prefer.
Then give a copy of that to each person you ask to write you a recommendation letter. I write letters of recommendation sometimes (usually for employment stuff, not PhD applications) -- I will sometimes ask clarifying questions of the person, but if they started making suggestions for things to include in the letter, I might just show them the door...

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes symbolipoint, Vanadium 50 and Orodruin
The Moon Gauge said:
it might have been a long time that the folk hasn't written a letter of this kind.
If they are in academia, then they are most likely writing this type of letter quite regularly. I am usually asked by several people every year for multiple positions each. If they feel that they need additional information from you, they will ask for it.

I usually ask for a copy of the person’s study record and application to ensure some facts are correct.

• Informative
Likes hutchphd, symbolipoint, berkeman and 1 other person
Hi, thank you for your reply. The thing is that I feel a bit worried that the letter will not be complete enough and I really want it to boost my PhD application. Also, I have had a past experience where a letter of recommendation written for my application was really minimal and without enough details. It was merely stating facts about which degree I had and courses I have taken. That is why I am wondering how to clarify things by mentionning relevant aspects that need to be explored without telling what to include in the letter. Correct me if I am wrong but the letter of reference carry a high weight in a PhD application.

It can yes. However, trying to influence the writers of your letters is not something I would advice. The entire point is to get an independent opinion from a third person. You should pick referees that can provide the details.

Likes Vanadium 50
Ok I see thank you:)

Likes berkeman
The Moon Gauge said:
That is why I am wondering how to clarify things by mentioning relevant aspects that need to be explored
It is up to you to successfully interleave these into your application without sounding foolish and that is a fine art. Only if you know the referee very well can you broach the subject of boosting your "strengths", but I would routinely offer to supply any additional information that might make the letter process easier.

Likes Orodruin
This doesn't seem like a totally unreasonable request. Especially if you are applying from a smaller school, or getting a recommendation from a more junior faculty member, the person writing the letter might not have *that* much experience. I was asked to write two letter s f recommendation for students in my calculus class while doing my phd, and let me tell you I had no idea what I was doing. I also asked a postdoc who taught a 500 level graph theory course for a letter of recommendation to a summer program and he was caught pretty off guard - I think it was his first time doing it.

Ideally if they don't know what to include they would ask a more senior faculty member, but if you happen to know what the contents should look like I don't know why saying something like "I'm applying to xyz, and I would really appreciate it if you could write a letter of recommendation talking about my ability to do abc" would offend anyone. They might think abc is the wrong thing to focus on.

hutchphd said:
It is up to you to successfully interleave these into your application without sounding foolish and that is a fine art. Only if you know the referee very well can you broach the subject of boosting your "strengths", but I would routinely offer to supply any additional information that might make the letter process easier.
Thank you:) I might need to order some communication and PR books...
Would you say that something like "Would you please be able to elaborate for my PhD application a letter of recommendation that highlights my ability to undetake research at doctorate level.." would be ok?

Office_Shredder said:
This doesn't seem like a totally unreasonable request. Especially if you are applying from a smaller school, or getting a recommendation from a more junior faculty member, the person writing the letter might not have *that* much experience. I was asked to write two letter s f recommendation for students in my calculus class while doing my phd, and let me tell you I had no idea what I was doing. I also asked a postdoc who taught a 500 level graph theory course for a letter of recommendation to a summer program and he was caught pretty off guard - I think it was his first time doing it.

Ideally if they don't know what to include they would ask a more senior faculty member, but if you happen to know what the contents should look like I don't know why saying something like "I'm applying to xyz, and I would really appreciate it if you could write a letter of recommendation talking about my ability to do abc" would offend anyone. They might think abc is the wrong thing to focus on.
I am not that crazy, good to know
Thank you :)

1. What is a letter of reference/recommendation for a PhD?

A letter of reference/recommendation for a PhD is a document written by a person who knows you well and can attest to your academic abilities, research experience, and potential for success in a PhD program. It is typically required as part of the application process for a PhD program.

2. Who should write a letter of reference/recommendation for a PhD?

A letter of reference/recommendation for a PhD should be written by someone who knows you well and can speak to your academic abilities and potential for success in a PhD program. This could be a professor, research supervisor, or employer.

3. How many letters of reference/recommendation do I need for a PhD application?

The number of letters of reference/recommendation required for a PhD application varies depending on the institution and program. However, it is typically recommended to have at least three letters from individuals who can provide a well-rounded assessment of your academic and research abilities.

4. Can I see the content of my letters of reference/recommendation?

Most institutions will allow you to view your letters of reference/recommendation upon request. However, it is important to ask the person writing the letter if they are comfortable with you seeing the content before making a request.

5. How should I approach someone to write a letter of reference/recommendation for me?

When asking someone to write a letter of reference/recommendation for you, it is important to choose someone who knows you well and can provide a strong recommendation. Be sure to ask them in advance and provide them with all the necessary information, such as your resume, transcripts, and a brief summary of your academic and research experience. It is also important to thank them for their time and offer to provide any additional information they may need.