Letter reflection from beer can

In summary: The highly diffusely reflective (white) letters appear bright on viewing directly because they profligately squander this incident solar flux in all directions leaving little for specular reflection. The black letters are more mirror-like and actually produce more specular intensity. Remember this is outside and the specular reflected collimated sunlight dominates the "ground" image.
nmsurobert
TL;DR Summary
I was sitting outside drinking and noticed that the color of reflection of the white letters and black outlines was inverted in the shadow. The green makes sense, but I don't under understand the other two I've been trying to explain it to myself but I've had no luck. Google has been no help either.
PXL_20220423_214527296~2.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
nmsurobert said:
It's a can. The can is facing west and the sun is in the east.
The shadow is being cast by other beers that have been consumed.
Um, cans are opaque...

berkeman said:
Um, cans are opaque...
That doesn't explain anything to me lol. I've tried this with different cans since I first saw this a few weeks ago. And sometimes white letters make white reflections but other times white letters make black reflections.

Last edited:
Strangely this does not seem to be a case:wink: of Beer's Law...
Seriously list all illuminants and the relative geometry to all salient objects

• Haha
Likes berkeman
nmsurobert said:
sometimes white letters make white reflection but other times white letters make white reflections.
Yeah, I can see how that would be confusing...

Am I being trolled right now?
I figured there would be some physical explanation this.

The Mentors are still trying to figure out who is being trolled in this thread.

Post a clear diagram and many more pictures of the setup and images if you want a serious answer. I'm drinking wine anyway...

And you might want to correct your typo that I pointed out in my post #8. Assuming that it was indeed a typo...

Lordy.

The set up
PXL_20220507_225410224.jpg

The lettering on "Pale Ale" is white outlined in black.
PXL_20220507_225419212.jpg

The reflection of the letters "pa" and every other letter cast in the shadow is black. And the outlines are reflected in white.
PXL_20220507_225543743.MP~3.jpg

Likes berkeman
That's better.
When you look at the can, you are seeing diffuse reflectance from the can to your eye.
When you look at the projection in the shadow, that light is diffusely reflected from the floor after being initially specularly reflected by the can surface.
The diffuse reflectance from a surface can be very different than the specular: most often this is due to local roughness and pigment particle size. The white pigment does not reflect the specular strongly but does reflect diffusely well.
I used to be an expert at this when I designed reflectance based medical instruments.

• Informative
Likes hmmm27 and berkeman
hutchphd said:
That's better.
When you look at the can, you are seeing diffuse reflectance from the can to your eye.
When you look at the projection in the shadow, that light is diffusely reflected from the floor after being initially specularly reflected by the can surface.
The diffuse reflectance from a surface can be very different than the specular: most often this is due to local roughness and pigment particle size. The white pigment does not reflect the specular strongly but does reflect diffusely well.
I used to be an expert at this when I designed reflectance based medical instruments.
How interesting. I never would've thought of diffusion. Thank you! That makes sense now.

Likes hutchphd and berkeman
nmsurobert said:
How interesting.
Thanks for the good question!

Likes berkeman
nmsurobert said:
How interesting. I never would've thought of diffusion. Thank you! That makes sense now.
I would add that there are probably areas of shiny / specular paint surface which will do the equivalent (laterally inverted) of cut out holes, which would form images on the other (shady) side of the can. The reflection shadows will be pretty sharp because the distance to the table top is short.

I'm not sure that diffuse reflections are likely to form sharp images; it would be 'out of character', imo. Such diffuse images would tend to fill up the sharper images and reduce contrast.

sophiecentaur said:
I'm not sure that diffuse reflections are likely to form sharp images; it would be 'out of character', imo. Such diffuse images would tend to fill up the sharper images and reduce contrast.
The highly diffusely reflective (white) letters appear bright on viewing directly because they profligately squander this incident solar flux in all directions leaving little for specular reflection. The black letters are more mirror-like and actually produce more specular intensity.
Remember this is outside and the specular reflected collimated sunlight dominates the "ground" image.

1. What is the purpose of a "Letter reflection from beer can"?

The purpose of a "Letter reflection from beer can" is to use the reflection of light on a beer can to create a message or image. This can be done by placing a light source and a letter or image in front of the beer can, and the reflection of the light on the can will create a reversed version of the letter or image.

2. How does the reflection on a beer can work?

The reflection on a beer can works due to the properties of light and the surface of the can. When light hits a smooth and shiny surface, such as a beer can, it reflects off at an angle equal to the angle at which it hit the surface. This creates a mirrored image of the light source on the surface of the can.

3. Can any type of light be used for a "Letter reflection from beer can"?

Yes, any type of light can be used for a "Letter reflection from beer can". However, the clearer and brighter the light source, the clearer the reflection will be on the can. Natural sunlight or a bright LED light are ideal for this experiment.

4. What materials are needed for a "Letter reflection from beer can"?

To create a "Letter reflection from beer can", you will need a beer can, a light source, and a letter or image to reflect. You may also need tape or a stand to hold the light source and the letter in place.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when doing a "Letter reflection from beer can" experiment?

Yes, there are a few safety precautions to consider when doing a "Letter reflection from beer can" experiment. First, make sure to use caution when handling the beer can, as the edges can be sharp. Also, be careful when using the light source, as it may become hot after prolonged use. Finally, always supervise children when conducting this experiment.