Levarge .... Is that even physics?

In summary, the speaker is trying to remember the concept of leverage from school and is struggling to apply it to building a device to weigh boxes with cables inside. They suggest using their wife's kitchen scales, but the boxes typically weigh around 35-50kg, making it too heavy for the scales to accurately measure in 1g increments. The speaker then proposes using a longer platform to amplify the weight of the cables, but is unsure if this would work. They are seeking advice on how to accurately measure the weight of the cables inside the boxes.
alex4478
Hi,

I'm trying to remember the stuff I was taught at school about leverage. I understand the principle, but can't get my hear around this.

I want to build a device to weigh the contents of boxes. It needs to be able to measure in 1g increments. I could use my wifes kitchen scales. The items in the box are cables and in each box they would all be the same length, so the same weight. A different box may have a longer length cable and the weight would be different, but the cables would all be the same. So if I have one box with 3ft of cable and that box weighs 30kg, and each cable weighs 3kgs, then I'll have 10 cables in that box. Problem is that the boxes typically weigh 35-50kg, so they are too heavy for the kitchen scales (which have the required increments to measure the difference when adding one cable).

I was hoping to use a platform that the box would sit on that was longer than the box, so one end stuck out and I could then use that to 'amplify' the weight of the cables. But I have it wrong.

So how could I do this?

Many thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Whatever you do it will be hard to measure 50kg to within 1g. Not many scales are accurate to 1 in 50,000 or 0.002%

1. What is leverage and how does it relate to physics?

Leverage is a term used in physics to describe the mechanical advantage gained by using a lever to lift or move an object. A lever is a simple machine that consists of a rigid bar or plank that pivots on a fulcrum. The force applied to one end of the lever can be amplified to overcome a larger resistance at the other end, making it easier to lift or move an object.

2. How is leverage calculated in physics?

In physics, leverage is calculated by multiplying the distance from the fulcrum to the point where the force is applied (known as the effort arm) by the magnitude of the force. This is then compared to the distance from the fulcrum to the point where the resistance is located (known as the load arm) multiplied by the magnitude of the resistance. The ratio of the two is known as the mechanical advantage of the lever.

3. What are the different types of levers in physics?

There are three types of levers in physics: first-class, second-class, and third-class. In a first-class lever, the fulcrum is located between the effort and the resistance, such as a seesaw. In a second-class lever, the resistance is located between the effort and the fulcrum, such as a wheelbarrow. In a third-class lever, the effort is located between the fulcrum and the resistance, such as a broom.

4. How is leverage used in everyday life?

Leverage is used in many everyday situations, from using a crowbar to open a jar to using a shovel to lift and move dirt. It is also used in more complex systems, such as a crane lifting heavy objects on a construction site or a lever system in a car engine to change gears.

5. Can leverage be used to multiply force?

Yes, leverage can be used to multiply force. By increasing the distance between the fulcrum and the point where the force is applied, the mechanical advantage of the lever increases and allows for a smaller force to overcome a larger resistance. This is why levers are commonly used to lift heavy objects with less effort.