Level of thermodynamics does an engineer needs to know

In summary, an engineering thermodynamic course typically covers the following topics: thermodynamic cycles, thermodynamic properties, equilibrium, heat transfer, and thermal-hydraulics.
Lisa!
Gold Member
What level of thermodynamics does an engineer(with Bachelor degree) need to know? And I'd be grateful if someone tells me what book engineering students study for their thermodynamics course?(especially nuclear eng., mechanical eng. or chemical eng.)

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I used 'Engineering Thermodynamics, Work & Heat Transfer' by Rogers & Mayhew (Prentice Hall) for my degree (mech eng), was pretty much a bible, and I still occasionally refer to it.

Lisa! said:
What level of thermodynamics does an engineer(with Bachelor degree) need to know?
It depends on the type of engineer. If mechanical or aerospace, a lot. Thermodynamics is a fundamental part of those two disciplines.

brewnog said:
Is this not more chemical thermodynamics rather than engineering thermodynamics?
This is a thermodynamics course all the engineering students get in the second bachelor year, at our university. Choosing your specialty is done in the 3rd year here and if you choose chemical engineering, you'll get more in the higher years - and I suppose also more engineering-oriented.

russ_watters said:
It depends on the type of engineer. If mechanical or aerospace, a lot. Thermodynamics is a fundamental part of those two disciplines.
Mechanical, aerospace and nuclear engineers probably need the most thermodynamics background, and I expect chemical engineers as well. Within these discplines, besides the basic laws of thermodynamics, one needs to delve into details of thermodynamic cycles, and one would likely specialize in one particular cycle, e.g. Rankine (steam/water), Brayton, Stirling, Carnot, etc. A lot depends on the working fluid and thermodynamic conditions, and whether combustion is inolved or not. Looking at jet or rocket propulsion, particularly with supersonic flow is another level of complexity.

And then there is thermal-hydraulics (coupling of thermodynamics and fluid mechanics).

Thanks everyone! :smile:

1. What is the relevance of thermodynamics in engineering?

Thermodynamics is crucial in engineering because it helps engineers understand and predict how energy is transferred and transformed in various systems, such as engines and power plants. This knowledge allows engineers to design more efficient and sustainable systems.

2. Do engineers need to have a strong background in thermodynamics?

Yes, engineers must have a solid understanding of thermodynamics to design, build, and maintain complex systems. They need to know how to apply thermodynamic principles to solve real-world problems in their respective fields, such as mechanical, chemical, and electrical engineering.

3. Is thermodynamics a difficult subject for engineers to learn?

It can be challenging to grasp some of the concepts in thermodynamics, but with proper instruction and practice, engineers can develop a strong understanding of the subject. It is essential to have a good foundation in mathematics, physics, and chemistry to excel in thermodynamics.

4. How is thermodynamics used in the field of engineering?

Thermodynamics is used in many aspects of engineering, including design, analysis, and optimization of systems. It helps engineers determine the efficiency of a system, identify areas for improvement, and predict how different variables (such as temperature and pressure) will affect the system's performance.

5. Can engineers use simplified versions of thermodynamics in their work?

Yes, engineers can use simplified versions of thermodynamics in their work, depending on the complexity of the system they are working on. For example, they may use the first and second laws of thermodynamics to analyze and optimize a simple heat engine, while more advanced systems may require the use of more complex thermodynamic principles.