Levi-Civita symbol and Kronecker delta

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of proving the identity for the Levi-Civita symbol and the Kronecker symbol using the determinant formula. They mention establishing a related identity and suggest writing out the determinant to see what happens.
typhoonss821
Hello everyone, I am stuck when I study Levi-Civita symbol.
The question is how to prove

[tex]\varepsilon_{ijk}\varepsilon_{lmn} = \det \begin{bmatrix}
\delta_{il} & \delta_{im}& \delta_{in}\\
\delta_{jl} & \delta_{jm}& \delta_{jn}\\
\delta_{kl} & \delta_{km}& \delta_{kn}\\
\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

where [tex]\varepsilon_{ijk}[/tex] represents Levi-Civita symbol and [tex]\delta_{il}[/tex] represents kronecker symbol.

Thank you very much^^

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Have you already established the identity [itex]\epsilon_{ijk}\epsilon_{ilm} = \delta_{jl}\delta_{km}-\delta_{jm}\delta_{kl}[/itex]?

Yes I have, but I don't know how to relate it to determinant...

Well, you could just write out that determinant and see what happens.

The Levi-Civita symbol and Kronecker delta are both important mathematical concepts in the field of linear algebra and tensor calculus. The Levi-Civita symbol, denoted by \varepsilon_{ijk}, is a permutation symbol used to represent the orientation of a coordinate system. On the other hand, the Kronecker delta, denoted by \delta_{il}, is a special kind of tensor that takes the value of 1 when the two indices are equal and 0 otherwise.

To prove the given equation, we can start by expanding the determinant on the right-hand side. We have:

\det \begin{bmatrix}
\delta_{il} & \delta_{im}& \delta_{in}\\
\delta_{jl} & \delta_{jm}& \delta_{jn}\\
\delta_{kl} & \delta_{km}& \delta_{kn}\\
\end{bmatrix} = \delta_{il}\delta_{jm}\delta_{kn} + \delta_{im}\delta_{jn}\delta_{kl} + \delta_{in}\delta_{jl}\delta_{km} - \delta_{in}\delta_{jm}\delta_{kl} - \delta_{il}\delta_{jn}\delta_{km} - \delta_{im}\delta_{jl}\delta_{kn}

Next, we can use the properties of the Kronecker delta to simplify this expression. Since the Kronecker delta takes the value of 1 when the two indices are equal, all terms with repeated indices will be equal to 1. Therefore, we can rewrite the above expression as:

\det \begin{bmatrix}
1 & 0& 0\\
0 & 1& 0\\
0 & 0& 1\\
\end{bmatrix} = 1 + 1 + 1 - 1 - 1 - 1 = 0

This shows that the determinant on the right-hand side is equal to 0. Now, let's consider the left-hand side of the equation. We can use the properties of the Levi-Civita symbol to rewrite it as:

\varepsilon_{ijk}\varepsilon_{lmn} = \begin{cases}
1, & \text{if } (i,j,k) \text{ and } (l,m,n) \text{ are even permutations of each other} \\
-1, & \text

I can provide some insight into the proof of this equation. First, let's define the Levi-Civita symbol and Kronecker delta.

The Levi-Civita symbol, denoted by \varepsilon_{ijk}, is a mathematical symbol used in vector calculus and tensor analysis to represent the sign of a permutation of three objects. It takes on the value of +1, -1, or 0 depending on the order of the indices i, j, k. For example, \varepsilon_{123} = +1, \varepsilon_{231} = -1, and \varepsilon_{112} = 0.

The Kronecker delta, denoted by \delta_{ij}, is a mathematical symbol that represents the identity matrix. It takes on the value of 1 when the two indices i and j are equal, and 0 when they are not equal. For example, \delta_{11} = 1, \delta_{12} = \delta_{21} = 0.

Now, to prove the given equation, we can use the properties of the Levi-Civita symbol and Kronecker delta. First, we can rewrite the left side of the equation as:

\varepsilon_{ijk}\varepsilon_{lmn} = \varepsilon_{i1}\varepsilon_{j2}\varepsilon_{k3}\varepsilon_{l1}\varepsilon_{m2}\varepsilon_{n3}

Next, we can use the antisymmetry property of the Levi-Civita symbol to rearrange the indices:

\varepsilon_{ijk}\varepsilon_{lmn} = \varepsilon_{ij1}\varepsilon_{k3}\varepsilon_{l1}\varepsilon_{m2}\varepsilon_{n3}

Then, we can use the property that the Levi-Civita symbol is equal to 0 when two indices are equal:

\varepsilon_{ijk}\varepsilon_{lmn} = \varepsilon_{ij1}\varepsilon_{k3}\varepsilon_{l1}\varepsilon_{m2}\varepsilon_{n3} = \varepsilon_{ij1}\varepsilon_{k3}\varepsilon_{l1}\varepsilon_{m2}\varepsilon_{n3}\delta_{l

1. What is the Levi-Civita symbol and Kronecker delta?

The Levi-Civita symbol is a mathematical symbol used to represent the sign of a permutation. It takes the value of +1 if the permutation is even and -1 if the permutation is odd. The Kronecker delta is a mathematical symbol used to represent the identity matrix in linear algebra.

2. How are the Levi-Civita symbol and Kronecker delta related?

The Levi-Civita symbol and Kronecker delta are related in that they both represent different mathematical concepts but are defined using similar notation. The Kronecker delta can be expressed in terms of the Levi-Civita symbol as δij = εijkεklm.

3. What is the purpose of using the Levi-Civita symbol and Kronecker delta in mathematics?

The Levi-Civita symbol and Kronecker delta are useful in various areas of mathematics, including vector calculus, tensor analysis, and quantum mechanics. They provide a convenient and concise way to represent complex mathematical concepts and simplify calculations.

4. Can the Levi-Civita symbol and Kronecker delta be used in higher dimensions?

Yes, the Levi-Civita symbol and Kronecker delta can be extended to higher dimensions. In three dimensions, the Levi-Civita symbol is defined as a 3x3x3 matrix, and the Kronecker delta is defined as a 3x3 identity matrix. In higher dimensions, they are defined similarly, with the Levi-Civita symbol having an additional index for each dimension and the Kronecker delta being an identity matrix of the appropriate size.

5. Are there any other mathematical symbols that are related to the Levi-Civita symbol and Kronecker delta?

Yes, there are other related symbols, including the alternating tensor, which is similar to the Levi-Civita symbol but has a different definition, and the Kronecker delta function, which is a generalization of the Kronecker delta to continuous functions. Additionally, the cross product and dot product in vector calculus can also be expressed in terms of the Levi-Civita symbol and Kronecker delta.