1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Showing Levi-Civita properties in 4 dimensions

Tags:
  1. Apr 23, 2017 #1
    first of all english is not my mother tongue sorry. I want to ask if you can help me with some of the properties of the levi-civita symbol.

I am showing that

$$\epsilon_{ijkl}\epsilon_{ijmn}=2!(\delta_{km}\delta_{ln}-\delta_{kn}\delta_{lm})$$

so i have this...

$$\epsilon_{ijkl}\epsilon_{ijmn}=\delta_{ii}\delta_{jj}\delta_{km}\delta_{ln}+\delta_{ij}\delta_{jm}\delta_{kn}\delta_{li}+\delta_{im}\delta_{jn}\delta_{ki}\delta_{lj}+\delta_{in}\delta_{ji}\delta_{kj}\delta_{lm}-\delta_{ii}\delta_{jn}\delta_{km}\delta_{lj}-\delta_{in}\delta_{jm}\delta_{kj}\delta_{li}-\delta_{im}\delta_{jj}\delta_{ki}\delta_{ln}-\delta_{ij}\delta_{ji}\delta_{kn}\delta_{lm}=3^2\delta_{km}\delta_{ln}+\delta_{kn}\delta_{lm}+\delta_{km}\delta_{ln}+\delta_{kn}\delta_{lm}-3\delta_{km}\delta_{ln}-\delta_{km}\delta_{ln}-3\delta_{km}\delta_{ln}-3\delta_{kn}\delta_{lm}=3\delta_{km}\delta_{ln}-3\delta_{kn}\delta_{lm}=3(\delta_{km}\delta_{ln}-\delta_{kn}\delta_{lm})$$

which is not equal to the supposedly correct answer. can the statement be wrong?
    if not i can't see my error.

Also i need to prove that:

$$\epsilon_{ijkl}\epsilon_{ijkm}=3!\delta_{lm}$$
    i know and i proved that
    $$\epsilon_{ijkl}\epsilon_{ijkl}=24=4!$$
    so if $l=m$ i have this
    $$\epsilon_{ijkl}\epsilon_{ijkl}=3!\delta_{ll}=3!\cdot 3=18$$
    which is not equal to 4!=24 so its the statement wrong again? it must be
    $$\epsilon_{ijkl}\epsilon_{ijkm}=8\delta_{lm} $$
    Actually i proved that:
    $$\epsilon_{ijkl}\epsilon_{ijkm}=\delta_{ii}\delta_{jj}\delta_{kk}\delta_{lm}+\delta_{ij}\delta_{jk}\delta_{km}\delta_{li}+\delta_{ik}\delta_{jm}\delta_{ki}\delta_{lj}+\delta_{im}\delta_{ji}\delta_{kj}\delta_{lk}-\delta_{ii}\delta_{jm}\delta_{kk}\delta_{lj}-\delta_{im}\delta_{jk}\delta_{kj}\delta_{li}-\delta_{ik}\delta_{jj}\delta_{ki}\delta_{lm}-\delta_{ij}\delta_{ji}\delta_{km}\delta_{lk}=3^3\delta_{lm}+\delta_{ik}\delta_{km}\delta_{li}+\delta_{ii}\delta_{lj}\delta_{jm}+\delta_{jm}\delta_{kj}\delta_{lk}-3^2\delta_{lm}-\delta_{jj}\delta_{li}\delta_{im}-3\delta_{ii}\delta_{lm}-\delta_{ii}\delta_{lm}=3^3\delta_{lm}+\delta_{lk}\delta_{km}+\delta_{ii}\delta_{lm}+\delta_{lj}\delta_{jm}-3^2\delta_{lm}-3\delta_{lm}-3^2\delta_{lm}-3\delta_{lm}=3^3\delta_{lm}+\delta_{lm}+3\delta_{lm}+\delta_{lm}-3^2\delta_{lm}-3\delta_{lm}-3^2\delta_{lm}-3\delta_{lm}=8\delta_{lm} $$
    Even more if i use my solution:

$$\epsilon_{ijkl}\epsilon_{ijmn}=3(\delta_{km}\delta_{ln}-\delta_{kn}\delta_{lm})$$
    to prove
    $$\epsilon_{ijkl}\epsilon_{ijkm}=3!\delta_{lm}$$
    using $m=k$ and $n=m$ i have this
    $$3(\delta_{km}\delta_{ln}-\delta_{kn}\delta_{lm})$$
    $$3(\delta_{kk}\delta_{lm}-\delta_{km}\delta_{lk})$$
    $$3(3\delta_{lm}-\delta_{lm})$$
    $$3(2\delta_{lm})$$
    $$6(\delta_{lm})=3!(\delta_{lm})$$

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 23, 2017 #2

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. Apr 23, 2017 #3
    That's what i did but when i simplify i get the error and i don't know where i think that the statement is false because i repeat the product too many times and i always get the same

5. Apr 23, 2017 #4

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In 4 dimensions ##\delta_{ii} = 4##.

6. Apr 23, 2017 #5
    that makes sense but if $\delta_{ii}=4$
    $$\epsilon_{ijkl}\epsilon_{ijkl}=\delta_{ii}\delta_{jj}\delta_{kk}\delta_{ll}+\delta_{ij}\delta_{jk}\delta_{kl}\delta_{li}+\delta_{ik}\delta_{jl}\delta_{ki}\delta_{lj}+\delta_{il}\delta_{ji}\delta_{kj}\delta_{lk}-\delta_{ii}\delta_{jl}\delta_{kk}\delta_{lj}-\delta_{il}\delta_{jk}\delta_{kj}\delta_{li}-\delta_{ik}\delta_{jj}\delta_{ki}\delta_{ll}-\delta_{ij}\delta_{ji}\delta_{kl}\delta_{lk}=4^4+\delta_{lj}\delta_{jl}+\delta_{ii}\delta_{jj}+\delta_{jl}\delta_{lj}-\delta_{ii}\delta_{jj}\delta_{kk}-\delta_{ii}\delta_{jj}-\delta_{ii}\delta_{jj}\delta_{ll}-\delta_{ii}\delta_{kk}=4^4+\delta_{ll}+4^2+\delta_{jj}-4^3-4^2-4^3-4^2=4^4+4+4^2+4-4^3-4^2-4^3-4^2=120=5!$$

And it should be 4!=24, actually if $\delta_{ii}=3$ it works
    $$\epsilon_{ijkl}\epsilon_{ijkl}=\delta_{ii}\delta_{jj}\delta_{kk}\delta_{ll}+\delta_{ij}\delta_{jk}\delta_{kl}\delta_{li}+\delta_{ik}\delta_{jl}\delta_{ki}\delta_{lj}+\delta_{il}\delta_{ji}\delta_{kj}\delta_{lk}-\delta_{ii}\delta_{jl}\delta_{kk}\delta_{lj}-\delta_{il}\delta_{jk}\delta_{kj}\delta_{li}-\delta_{ik}\delta_{jj}\delta_{ki}\delta_{ll}-\delta_{ij}\delta_{ji}\delta_{kl}\delta_{lk}=3^4+\delta_{lj}\delta_{jl}+\delta_{ii}\delta_{jj}+\delta_{jl}\delta_{lj}-\delta_{ii}\delta_{jj}\delta_{kk}-\delta_{ii}\delta_{jj}-\delta_{ii}\delta_{jj}\delta_{ll}-\delta_{ii}\delta_{kk}=3^4+\delta_{ll}+3^2+\delta_{jj}-3^3-3^2-3^3-3^2=3^4+3+3^2+3-3^3-3^2-3^3-3^2=24=4!$$

7. Apr 23, 2017 #6

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You are missing terms. The anti-symmetrisation over the 4 indices should have 4! = 24 terms, not 8.

8. Apr 23, 2017 #7
    Yeah, its true, i am sorry.

i am going to do the determinant 4x4
    gif&s=2&w=82.&h=76..gif gif&s=2&w=446.&h=57..gif
    and then simplify.
    Thanks!!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted