L'hopital's case proof, infinite limit

In summary, the problem states that in R, f and g are differentiable and have limits of infinity at a. It is given that g(x) and g'(x) are not equal to zero. Using the MVT and continuity definition, the goal is to show that the limit of f(x)/g(x) as x approaches a is also infinity. However, differentiation may not be used to solve this problem.
Degeneration

Homework Statement

a in R is finite, f,g are differentiable on R
[tex]\lim_{\substack{x\rightarrow a}} f(x)=\infty[/tex]
[tex]\lim_{\substack{x\rightarrow a}} g(x)=\infty[/tex]

[tex]g(x), g'(x)[/tex] not equal to zero

[tex]\lim_{\substack{x\rightarrow a}} f'(x)/g'(x)=\infty[/tex]

Show [tex]\lim_{\substack{x\rightarrow a}} f(x)/g(x)=\infty[/tex]

Homework Equations

I'm sure you need to use the MVT
f'(c)/g'(c) = (f(x) - f(a))/(g(x) - g(a))

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm starting out trying to use the continuity definition, but it seems to be going nowhere with a infinite limit.

For every number [tex]N[/tex] there is a [tex]\delta > 0[/tex] s.t. [tex]f'(x)/g'(x) > N[/tex] when [tex]0 < |x - a| < \delta[/tex]
Additionally, I can't just say lim x->a f'(x)/g'(x) = infinity = L and then use epsilon delta, since I don't know if it works for extended reals. Where can I go from here?

Physics news on Phys.org
You know for every N there is an 'a' such that f'(t)/g'(t)>N for all x>a. Write that as f'(t)>N*g'(t) and integrate both sides from a to x. Then divide by g(x) and think about the limit as x->infinity.

Right, sorry though I forgot to mention this is strictly differentiation. No Riemann sums or integrals are allowed. I understand how that would make it significantly easier though

Actually, I think I can use [tex] |f'(x)/g'(x)| > 1/ \epsilon[/tex], but that still doesn't seem too much more helpful

Last edited:
Degeneration said:
Right, sorry though I forgot to mention this is strictly differentiation. No Riemann sums or integrals are allowed. I understand how that would make it significantly easier though

Hmm. I guess I'm not really seeing how to do it then. The trouble with your MVT statement is that you know (f(x)-f(a))/(x-a)=f'(c) and (g(x)-g(a))/(x-a)=g'(d), for some values c and d in [a,x], but you don't know that c=d.

Oh man, okay. I will update if I get this

1. What is L'Hopital's rule?

L'Hopital's rule is a mathematical theorem that allows us to evaluate limits involving indeterminate forms, such as 0/0 or ∞/∞. It states that if the limit of the quotient of two functions is indeterminate, then the limit of the quotient of their derivatives will be the same.

2. How do I apply L'Hopital's rule?

To apply L'Hopital's rule, first identify the indeterminate form of the limit you are trying to evaluate. Then, take the derivative of the numerator and denominator separately. If the resulting limit is still indeterminate, you can repeat the process until a non-indeterminate form is obtained.

3. What is the case proof for infinite limit in L'Hopital's rule?

The case proof for infinite limit in L'Hopital's rule is used when the limit of the quotient of two functions is indeterminate in the form of ∞/∞. In this case, the limit can be evaluated by taking the limit of the ratio of the derivatives of the two functions. This process can be repeated until a non-indeterminate form is obtained.

4. Can L'Hopital's rule be used for all types of limits?

No, L'Hopital's rule can only be used for limits involving indeterminate forms. It cannot be used for limits that do not have an indeterminate form, such as limits that tend to a finite number or limits that tend to ∞ or -∞.

5. Are there any limitations to using L'Hopital's rule?

Yes, there are limitations to using L'Hopital's rule. It can only be used for limits involving indeterminate forms, and the functions must be differentiable in the limit point. Additionally, the rule may not work for more complicated functions or limits, and it should be used with caution and in combination with other methods of evaluating limits.