Lifeline Rope Strength Analysis

In summary, the conversation discussed the issue of homemade lifelines being used at work and the concern of their reliability. The speaker shared their analysis method which involved calculating the tension in the ropes and translating the values to the harness. The results showed that even professional lifelines were too weak with an 8mm diameter rope having a breaking force of only 35kN. The speaker questioned the accuracy of their calculations and the safety factor used in official products. They also mentioned the difficulty in finding data on the nominal elastic modulus for wire ropes. The conversation ended with the suggestion of hiring an engineer for a thorough inspection and analysis of the safety system.
George Zucas
Hello everybody,

I am trying to analyse the lifelines we use at work, though the results I obtain are causing me headaches.

The problem is, our workers often install and use what I would call homemade lifelines. My boss asked me to check whether what they do is reliable. According to what I calculate, most of the professionaly made lifelines are too weak.

Here is what I have done so far:

I checked the safety harnesses we use at work. The rated arrest force is 6 kN (which is also the value mentioned in the standard we are bound to) which means when a user falls, after 6 kN of force is generated in the harness fall smoother ( whatever it is called) gets opened and the fall slows down. So the maximum force the lifeline is subjected to is 6 kN.

There are a few formulas used in analysing the ropes:

H=(w*L^2)/(8*d)

H: Midspan load
w: Unit load on the cable
L: Cable Span
d:sag

T= (H^2+((w*L/2)^2)^0.5

T: Tension in the Rope

What I need is the tension in the rope. When the rope gets loaded, it gets a V shape. So the calculation should be easy. The new rope length is sqrt(L^2-4d^2). The elongation is this new length minusthe initial length. The rope modulus is A*E/Linitial. Then the tension is elongation*modulus.

To translate the values to the harness, I found a formula from the link below which basically does what I do( and I copied some parts from there), it is 4T(s/l). Though I do not know where does it come from. After that I give random values to the sag until 6 kN harness force is reached.

http://sraa.asia/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/HLL-Basic-Calculation_final.pdf

When I do the calculation I get the same results which is 27 something kN for a 8 mm rope. With a safety factor of two the load is 55 kN. 8 mm diameter ropes have a breaking force of around 35 kN. 8 kn is too weak. If I increase the diameter, since the rope modulus is also dependent on the diameter, it is also not enough. So by increasing the diameter I figured only after around 15mm, I can say it is safe, which is a bit crazy to me since most of the official products have a 8 mm rope.

What do I do wrong? I cannot figure it out. The loads can't be that high. The official ones must have an even bigger safety factor since 2 is the minimum.

Also what is the nominal elastic modulus E for wire ropes? I cannot find any data on this. I used the value at the link but it does not specify the type of rope used.

I sumarised the calculation, there are other factors such as the initial sag etc but the results are about the same.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Thread closed temporarily for Moderation...

Edit: @George Zucas we have decided to leave this thread closed. Since this is a safety issue we recommend that you hire an engineer who can inspect and analyze the whole safety system involved.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is lifeline rope strength analysis?

Lifeline rope strength analysis is a process of testing and analyzing the strength and durability of ropes commonly used for safety purposes, such as in rock climbing or rescue situations. This analysis helps determine the maximum weight or force that a rope can withstand before breaking, ensuring the safety of those using it.

Why is lifeline rope strength analysis important?

Lifeline rope strength analysis is important because it ensures the safety of individuals who rely on ropes for their protection. By determining the maximum weight or force that a rope can handle, it helps prevent accidents and injuries that could occur if a rope were to break under too much stress.

How is lifeline rope strength analysis performed?

Lifeline rope strength analysis is usually performed by a team of trained professionals using specialized equipment. The rope is subjected to various tests that simulate real-world scenarios, such as being pulled or stretched with different amounts of weight. The results of these tests are then carefully analyzed to determine the strength and durability of the rope.

What factors can affect lifeline rope strength?

There are several factors that can affect the strength of a lifeline rope, including the type and quality of the rope, its age and condition, and the environment in which it is used. For example, exposure to sunlight, extreme temperatures, and chemicals can weaken a rope over time.

How often should lifeline rope strength analysis be performed?

The frequency of lifeline rope strength analysis depends on several factors, such as the type of rope, its intended use, and the manufacturer's recommendations. In general, it is recommended to have a rope strength analysis performed at least once a year or after any significant event that could have affected the rope's strength, such as a fall or exposure to extreme conditions.