Life's great mysteries (things that make NO sense)

• Thread starter some bloke
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses various things that make no sense, including touch screens in cars, personalized address labels in mail solicitations, and restaurants using QR codes for menus. The use of touch screens in cars is criticized for being less functional and potentially dangerous compared to traditional controls. The use of personalized address labels is questioned as most people rarely use snail mail anymore. And the use of QR codes for menus is seen as a cost-cutting measure that may have cost the restaurant a potential customer.
Mondayman said:
Con is the opposite of pro. I guess that makes Congress the opposite of Progress.
Or, as Mark Twain said, the United States has no native criminal class ... except for congress.

Physics news on Phys.org
phinds said:
Paper towels apparently can ONLY be made so that they tear everywhere EXCEPT where the perforations are.
Also toilet paper.

This reminds me of a SF short story that I read a long time ago. In it, someone investigated this phenomenon, and discovered that making the perforations larger increased the strength of the paper. Continuing this process to its logical conclusion, he ended up eliminating all the paper, leaving an invisible substance that was stronger than anything else known to man, which he called "Nothing."

He received a visit from a spy or government agent who attempted to shoot him and steal his secret. But he had put up a screen of Nothing in front of his desk, so the bullets fell to the floor harmlessly.

Does anybody else remember this story? I don't remember the author for sure, but it might have been Robert A. Heinlein.

Mondayman said:
I don't understand why people are suddenly upset this year about residential schools here in Canada.
My impression is that it's because of the recent discovery of a mass grave of 215 bodies at one of them.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-57291530

• Love
Likes DaveC426913 and hutchphd
Mondayman said:
I don't understand why people are suddenly upset this year about residential schools here in Canada.
The Tulsa Massacre is also getting some press, and Xinjiang and Myanmar. The 1948 conquest, ethnic cleansing and colonization of Palestine, not yet.

Mondayman said:
I don't understand why people are suddenly upset this year about residential schools here in Canada. Where was this anger years ago? They still existed not even 30 years ago. They were common knowledge. My grandma survived one, and any effort to bring it up to others usually fell flat.
Cuz the jig is up. No more royal commission, endless discussion, yada, yada, plus the world is now aware.
Sorry for your gramma being put through that.

Quebec mystery
No one has ever explained why there are do many streets and roads named Barre in Quebec.
Was this some famous dude never mentioned in history books.

jtbell said:
My impression is that it's because of the recent discovery of a mass grave of 215 bodies at one of them.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-57291530
I lived in Kamloops for a few years. An elder who is a friend of mine survived that school. He lived with me for six months and pointed out the grave site to my ex, who's work happens to be in that exact school. It's not like this was some random discovery. People have been asking for years, "Where did my child/children go?"

I had another good friend survive that school. He ran away home, and lived on a mountain not far from his parents with his horse. RCMP would look for runaways.

• Sad
  • Wow
Likes PeroK and hutchphd
Why do we drive on parkways and park on driveways?

Why are strawberries the only fruit with the seeds on the outside?

Why did you have to hit the start button to turn off your computer?

How did Back to the Future II just happen predict that the Red Sox would win the world series about the same time Trump was elected president? [both of these events were considered impossible then]

Ivan Seeking said:
What about corn? Of course the center is not as tasty (at least to humans).

MikeeMiracle said:
Is this post just about technology or can we post stuff about people to? The thing I fail to understand is people who spends countless thousands of pounds to go on holiday to a hot country, stay in a hotel a hundred yards from the beach...and then go swimming in the hotel pool instead of the Sea!

It make zero sense to me, you could have swam in a pool in your own town...
I have a hypothesis: too much change is stressful. People want a vacation that allows them to do their normal routine - but without the downside of responsibility.

A vacation is thus the best of both worlds: they get the pleasure of doing things comfortably and at their own pace - and they can spend only as much time in the heat as they desire - but because they're doing it elsewhere, they don't have the don't have any of the stresses and responsibilities of home.

That's the recipe for a mentally-recharging rest.

hutchphd said:
What about corn?

Corn, like ketchup, is a vegetable.

• Haha
Likes CalcNerd, 2milehi and hutchphd
Vanadium 50 said:
You left out pizza.

• Haha
Likes hutchphd, Twigg and BillTre
hutchphd said:
The seeds aren't on the outside. They are covered.

Corn is strange - a fruit produced by a grass.

hutchphd said:
Ivan Seeking said:
Looks to be on the inside to me:

8985.png

Edit: Looks like @Ivan Seeking was faster than me.

Likes Ivan Seeking
phinds said:
You left out pizza.

That's a food group.

Likes CalcNerd
The tallest man and the shortest woman.

1622913344149.png

Likes PeroK and BillTre
Why is it that the one thing powdered sugar doesn't stick to is pastry? And what is the one thing we put it on?

• Haha
Likes CalcNerd and Twigg
A vegetable is the edible portion of a plant. ... A fruit is the mature ovary of a plant. So a tomato is botanically a fruit but is commonly considered a vegetable. According to this definition squash, pepper and eggplants are also fruits. Then there are seeds such as peas which are also considered vegetables.
https://vric.ucdavis.edu/main/faqs.htm

Since the ovaries of a flowing plant is an edible part of a plant, does that mean all edible fruits are also vegetables?

phinds said:
I think it's a hangover from the days when more snail mail went out. Personally, I've been using those things for years. I mail probably an average of 3 paper bills a week. I don't have a smartphone and have no interest in on-line bill pay.
I've found them quite useful. still have to send a few letters. Now actually the letter itself is scarcely more trouble than an email – you just print it out and fold it up. What I found took far more of my time was the envelopes. If I hadn't done one for a month say, it would usually take me at least four tries before I got it right, printing it on the back and upside down, wrong way round etc. But even more attempts if I had to print my sender's address in the top left corner as we do, a lot of trouble, used to write those by hand often. So helpful if I could just stick a preprinted label there.I make a modest regular contribution to a charity that saves stray dogs and finds them homes. In exchange it gives me these stickers with cute pictures of doggies, I keep up my subscription in gratitude. OK by now I have enough labels to last me quite some years, but I guess I'd feel bad now abandoning the dogs. :oldcry:

• Haha
Likes Keith_McClary
And after all that you have to be careful of paper cuts while licking them.
epenguin said:
cute pictures of doggies
I have red air-ambulance helicopters.

Likes berkeman
Keith_McClary said:
And after all that you have to be careful of paper cuts while licking them.
No licking - they're self-adhering

What do your cats really think of you?

Why do they have to think about doing something for 1 to 5 minutes before finally doing it; like jumping up on the couch.

Why do people bother to fold their underwear?

Likes Jodo
Ivan Seeking said:
Why do they have to think about doing something for 1 to 5 minutes before finally doing it; like jumping up on the couch.
They're doing a health and safety assessment, working out the chances that the couch might jump on them, or run away.

That time the Matlab installer tried to invoke black magic in my filesystem:
darnit2.PNG

(I think it was supposed to be the "tools" directory? Or maybe summoning a demon, who knows!)

Ivan Seeking said:
What do your cats really think of you?
They definitely see servants in all of us.

MikeeMiracle said:
The thing I fail to understand is people who spends countless thousands of pounds to go on holiday to a hot country, stay in a hotel a hundred yards from the beach...and then go swimming in the hotel pool instead of the Sea!

Depending on the time of year, there can be some seriously dangerous things in tropical seas. I love visiting the Whitsundays area in Australia (because the intense blue of the Coral Sea is an absolutely stunning spectacle -- I can spend hours just staring at it as if hypnotized). I've lashed out and booked to spend a week here in early August. Can't wait.

Nevertheless, I'd be unlikely to go swimming in the Coral Sea without serious wetsuit protection, because of Irukandji jellyfish. Also consider: sharks. [Edit:, although,... I hear the sharks have been complaining that their meals, delivered in a rubbery skin, are too difficult to unpeel.]

russ_watters said:
I can't fathom why the prospect of looking at a menu on your phone would cause you to leave a nice restaurant!?

I think it was a case of this, maybe

old_man_yells_at_cloud.jpg

• Haha
Likes crudux_cruo, DennisN, BillTre and 2 others
Vanadium 50 said:

Technically, as Tomato is a Fruit, Ketchup is a smoothie.

"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad."

Likes diogenesNY, Keith_McClary and BillTre
Every building has fire-related signs " In case of fire use stairs, not the elevator". Including , some, in the ground floor. Who, other than firemen, wants to go into a burning building?

MikeeMiracle said:
Is this post just about technology or can we post stuff about people to? The thing I fail to understand is people who spends countless thousands of pounds to go on holiday to a hot country, stay in a hotel a hundred yards from the beach...and then go swimming in the hotel pool instead of the Sea!

Same for those who only eat out in chain restaurants while on holidays away from home.

Likes MikeeMiracle and diogenesNY
WWGD said:
Same for those who only eat out in chain restaurants while on holidays away from home.
Actually, that makes a lot of sense. That is the whole point of chain restaurants: a familiar feel you can rely on. It is scary for a lot of people to go into unknown territory and fewer people would travel if it weren't for these types of businesses. Not everyone is looking for an adventure.

jack action said:
Not everyone is looking for an adventure.
Or every organ,

I look for adventure on holiday, but my GI tract often has other opinions on the matter.
(In fact, the more adventure I find, the less adventurous my GI tract wants to be.)
Give your GI tract what it wants. Because if it doesn't want to go on an adventure today, you will not be going on an adventure today.

Likes jack action
Well, not the adventure you had planned at least. I add this description of a trip to Ryan's Steakhouse to this erudite topic (with warnings to the squeamish:

https://texags.com/forums/34/topics/1950635

I admit to finding that vignette hilarious.

• Haha
Likes jack action
hutchphd said:
with warnings to the squeamish
+1 to that, @hutchphd is not kidding. I may never eat beef-a-roni again.

Likes hutchphd