Life's great mysteries (things that make NO sense)

• Thread starter some bloke
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses various things that make no sense, including touch screens in cars, personalized address labels in mail solicitations, and restaurants using QR codes for menus. The use of touch screens in cars is criticized for being less functional and potentially dangerous compared to traditional controls. The use of personalized address labels is questioned as most people rarely use snail mail anymore. And the use of QR codes for menus is seen as a cost-cutting measure that may have cost the restaurant a potential customer.
phinds said:
Reminds me of a story I read about the most intelligent walkway layout I've ever heard of. I forget the university, but back when it was founded there were several buildings and they couldn't decide where to put the walkways.
Not certain that this is not an "urban myth," just saying...

Physics news on Phys.org
I think it would be a good idea though. You see beautifully designed gardens and paths, with worn patches through the gardens where people have taken the short cut. If you made the paths fit the most likely route in the first place, there'd be no sense in trampling through the gardens.

Likes 2milehi
Bystander said:
Not certain that this is not an "urban myth," just saying...
The story is told many different ways, but the idea got 'official' recognition anyway.

Ps.: by this article, the story @phinds referring to might be about Michigan State University

• Informative
Likes DaveE and phinds
I just bought a new Breville electric blanket (not cheap).

From the instruction manual:

Breville said:
NOTE: It is not recommended that you sleep with the heated blanket switched on.

strangerep said:
I just bought a new Breville electric blanket (not cheap).

From the instruction manual:
The "Benefits of Electric Blankets" section here is very short (and includes "The electric blanket also creates a mild magnetic field that helps repel dust mites." 🤔 ).

I had one, can't remember why I bought it, or why I stopped using it long ago.

I wonder what those resistive wires are made of.

Keith_McClary said:
The "Benefits of Electric Blankets" section here [...]
That article also says: "You should also never sleep or lie on top of an electric blanket [...]".
Sheesh, I've been doing that for decades: mattress, then e-blanket, then woollen under-blanket, then sheets, then upper blankets...

• Wow
Likes Keith_McClary
some bloke said:
This is an open discussion for people to voice their thoughts on things which just make no sense to them. And for others to possibly elucidate for them to help them understand.

I'll open with this: Touch screens in cars.

Who decided that this was a good idea? Particularly when the touch screen also controls the radio?

Case one: old fashioned car. I want to turn the volume up, so I reach over until I feel the volume knob, and I turn it, all whilst avoiding someone who just stepped out into the road.

Case two: modern car. I want to turn the volume up, so I look over to my touch screen, which has no haptic feedback so I have no idea what I'm pressing unless I look, and I press the button for the volume to go up, and there's a loud thud as somebody hurtles over the bonnet because I'm looking at the screen for my radio and didn't see them.

Just why? what was wrong with controls you can operate without looking? who decided that a RADIO needed to have a SCREEN? do you know what you call a radio with a screen? a Television.

So, what is it in this world that makes absolutely no sense to you?
Man after my own heart :)

Check here. I'm digging it for a while, in spare time
Several tries on some HUD versions, none really successful, I'm on this forum actually researching optics .

[link deleted by the Mentors]

Last edited by a moderator:
some bloke said:
This is an open discussion for people to voice their thoughts on things which just make no sense to them. And for others to possibly elucidate for them to help them understand.

I'll open with this: Touch screens in cars.

Who decided that this was a good idea? Particularly when the touch screen also controls the radio?

Case one: old fashioned car. I want to turn the volume up, so I reach over until I feel the volume knob, and I turn it, all whilst avoiding someone who just stepped out into the road.

Case two: modern car. I want to turn the volume up, so I look over to my touch screen, which has no haptic feedback so I have no idea what I'm pressing unless I look, and I press the button for the volume to go up, and there's a loud thud as somebody hurtles over the bonnet because I'm looking at the screen for my radio and didn't see them.

Just why? what was wrong with controls you can operate without looking? who decided that a RADIO needed to have a SCREEN? do you know what you call a radio with a screen? a Television.

So, what is it in this world that makes absolutely no sense to you?

They put screens in cars to stop people from looking at their phones while driving. But for obvious reasons they should be called touch screams because you will only have time to scream when you look back up at the road.

10 hot dogs to a pack.
8 hot dog buns to a pack.

• Sad
Likes collinsmark, hmmm27, jack action and 3 others
Ivan Seeking said:
10 hot dogs to a pack.
Oh, that makes perfectly good sense. They want you to buy 4 packs of dogs and 5 of buns. I mean, who wants to sell a piddling 1 of each?

• Haha
Likes CalcNerd, Keith_McClary, Ivan Seeking and 1 other person
phinds said:
Oh, that makes perfectly good sense. They want you to buy 4 packs of dogs and 5 of buns. I mean, who wants to sell a piddling 1 of each?

Okay then why do we park on driveways and drive on parkways?

• Skeptical
Likes Twigg
If a corporation in the US is legally a person and therefore protected by the Constitution, then how do we put one in jail?

Likes PeroK
Could a massless black hole travel at the speed of light? And how could you know if they did?

Ivan Seeking said:
Okay then why do we park on driveways and drive on parkways?
I'm not sure, but I am pretty sure it's for the same reason that "palindrome" isn't spelled the same way backwards as it is forwards.

phinds said:
I'm not sure, but I am pretty sure it's for the same reason that "palindrome" isn't spelled the same way backwards as it is forwards.

Are there meetings where people decide these things?

phinds said:
...I am pretty sure it's for the same reason that "palindrome" isn't spelled the same way backwards as it is forwards.

Ivan Seeking said:
Are there meetings where people decide these things?

Yes.

They are social gatherings, often called "Parties," where people (principally of pre-teen age) gather in a circle and play "Postoffice." The rules are; a person whispers a short message to the next person and that 'next person' repeats it to the next, and so-on.

When the message gets back to the initiator, they announce the received message and the the original message; they are never indentical.

In some instances these games are played by political entities, which are also called "Parties." This just shows that chronological age is not necessarily indicative of anything in particular.

Have Fun!
Tom

Lol. . . . :wink:

1625397131440.png

1625397649964.png

Grey's Anatomy is in its 17th season. o_O

My gf clued me in. I thought that show ended 10 years ago! LOL!

I noticed that in an ad for the new season, I didn't recognize any of the actors on the current cast.

Likes jack action
Ivan Seeking said:
10 hot dogs to a pack.
What I don't understand is why they didn't take it to the logical limit:
11 hot dogs to a pack.
13 buns to a pack.
(and, just for fun: 17 slices of cheese to a pack)

OK everybody, I got 2,431 dogs here. Nobody gets outta here 'til they're all gone.

• Love
Likes Keith_McClary
DaveC426913 said:
What I don't understand is why they didn't take it to the logical limit:
11 hot dogs to a pack.
13 buns to a pack.
(and, just for fun: 17 slices of cheese to a pack)

OK everybody, I got 2,431 dogs here. Nobody gets outta here 'til they're all gone.

The Catsup containers only hold enough for 23 dogs.
However the Ketchup containers hold enough for 31 dogs.

Likes DaveC426913
What is the difference between a Marshmallow and a Marshmellow? And for that matter, when did they stop making marshmallow out of marsh mallow. and why? A guy can't find any decent mallow these days.

Marsh mellows are stoned Cajuns.

I don't understand people who deny the existence of aliens, and then turn right around and complain about illegal aliens.

phinds said:

And why the fear of long words is "Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia"!

Likes Keith_McClary
Ivan Seeking said:
I don't understand people who deny the existence of aliens, and then turn right around and complain about illegal aliens.

The one which got me was when Britain was voting for Brexit (ugh, says something when your country has to make everything a catchy name no matter how serious it is...) and a lot of people I spoke to said they were going to vote for Brexit, and I quote: "To keep the illegal immigrants out".

Yes, we'll leave Europe and they'll suddenly stop not caring about the law and stop coming over! hooray! What did they think would happen, it would become more illegal?

Ivan Seeking said:
10 hot dogs to a pack.

Heinz (the ketchup people) want to change this!

• Haha
Likes Ivan Seeking and berkeman
jtbell said:
Heinz (the ketchup people) want to change this!

They are making a pack pact? LOL!

The average can of paint can cover 400 square feet. And if you only count the walls, the average small room has about 400 square feet of wall. But with the ceiling you get just over 500 square feet.

Likes Keith_McClary
If I want to watch a commercial on YouTube, I have to watch another commercial first to see it.

Likes Keith_McClary
I consider the following question every year around April 15th.

What would happen if I did my taxes in hexadecimal? I don't see anything in the tax code stating that base 10 must be used.

Likes Keith_McClary
Ivan Seeking said:
I don't see anything in the tax code stating that base 10 must be used.
The US doesn't seem to have an official system of weights and measures, so they probably don't have an official base.

Ivan Seeking said:
What would happen if I did my taxes in hexadecimal? I don't see anything in the tax code stating that base 10 must be used.
I think you should do it next year and let us know the result.

• Love
  • Haha
Likes CalcNerd, 2milehi, Astronuc and 1 other person
Taxable income = 30D40? Does Turbo Tax allow that?

Ivan Seeking said:
Taxable income = 30D40? Does Turbo Tax allow that?
Try binary instead: 110000110101000000. The IRS will love that number.

• Haha
Likes Ivan Seeking
Time bombs with ticking/beeping, flashing numeric/digital displays for the protagonist/s to race.

• Haha
Likes Klystron, MikeeMiracle, DaveC426913 and 1 other person
jack action said:
Try binary instead: 110000110101000000. The IRS will love that number.

But that doesn't yield a tax advantage. Using hex puts me in a much lower tax bracket.

Likes CalcNerd and Keith_McClary
Bystander said:
Time bombs with ticking/beeping, flashing numeric/digital displays for the protagonist/s to race.
Yep. Nuthin' like a hidden bomb that beeps loudly and flashes a bright light, telling the whole world where it is.
Oh, and here's a ten second visual and audio lead up to the final boom - so you know when to run.

Likes Bystander and phinds