malawi_glenn
Science Advisor
Homework Helper

Main Question or Discussion Point

[SOLVED] Lifetime & Branching ratio

Hi!

In my book Particle Physics by Martin & Shaw, eq 2.15:

Lifetime:
[tex] \tau _l = \dfrac{B(l^- \rightarrow e^-\bar{\nu }_e\nu _l )}{\Gamma (l^-\rightarrow e^-\bar{\nu }_e\nu _l )} [/tex]

Where B is branching ratio and Gamma the decay rate and l is a lepton.

Why is B included? :S I thought the lifetime just was the inverse of the decay rate...

Answers and Replies

nrqed
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Hi!

Lifetime:
[tex] \tau _l = \dfrac{B(l^- \rightarrow e^-\bar{\nu }_e\nu _l )}{\Gamma (l^-\rightarrow e^-\bar{\nu }_e\nu _l )} [/tex]

Why is B included? :S I thought the lifetime just was the inverse of the decay rate...
Because this decay rate is not the total decay rate, it's only the decay rat efor that particular mode. The lifetime is the inverse of the total decay rate.

Hi!

Lifetime:

Well, assuming that;

[tex] \Gamma (l^-\rightarrow e^-\bar{\nu }_e\nu _l ) < \Gamma (l^-\rightarrow anything) [/tex]

you must compensate for the longer lifetime that would occur if you restricted the lepton to that one decay mode. Compensating will require you to consider the ratio of this decay mode versus any available decay mode, which is the branching ratio in the posted equation. Thus, dividing the branching ratio, which is less than or equal to one, by the partial width, which is less than or equal to the total width, is the logical solution.

malawi_glenn
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Ok i think I understand now, perhaps I have not understand the concept of lifetime proper yet. Thanx!