Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Matching interaction terms and decay processes in standard model

1. Feb 16, 2017 #1
    I would like to consider the interaction terms in the Standard Model which allow the following decay process:

63e599fafd.png

The only interaction terms in the Standard Model which allow this decay process are contained in the charged current interactions:

$$\mathcal{L}_{cc}
    = ie_{W}\big[W_{\mu}^{+}(\bar{\nu}'_{m}\gamma^{\mu}(1+\gamma_{5})e'_{m} + V_{mn}\bar{u}'_{m}\gamma^{\mu}(1+\gamma_{5})d'_{n})
    + W_{\mu}^{-}(\bar{e}'_{m}\gamma^{\mu}(1+\gamma_{5})\nu'_{m} + (V^{\dagger})_{mn}\bar{d}'_{m}\gamma^{\mu}(1+\gamma_{5})u'_{n})\big].$$

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Is the vertex between the quarks only allowed by the term ##ie_{W}W_{\mu}^{+} V_{mn}\bar{u}'_{m}\gamma^{\mu}(1+\gamma_{5})d'_{n}##?

2. Is this because the down quark enters the vertex and therefore must not have a bar on top of it?

3. Simialrly, is the vertex between the leptons only allowed by the term ##ie_{W}W_{\mu}^{-} (V^{\dagger})_{mn}\bar{d}'_{m}\gamma^{\mu}(1+\gamma_{5})u'_{n}##?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2017 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You are missing minus signs in your projection operators. CC iteractions act on left-handed fields only.

1,2) Yes.

3) No, you need the lepton fields in the operator.

4. Feb 16, 2017 #3
    But the left-handed projection operator has a plus sign in the mostly positive metric, does it not? I'm using Cliff Burgess's textbook, although I should be using mostly negative because it is the common usage in the particle physics community.

Right, my bad.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted