Lift Body with Fans? An Exploration of Physics

• Thread starter justsomeonenew
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Body Lift
In summary: The fan will at least keep you from hitting your head on the ceiling, but the flywheel will cause serious injury if it comes crashing down on you.
justsomeonenew
Hello everybody,

I have a crazy idea in my mind, and I need help of someone who knows about physics !

I was wondering if it could be possible to lift a human body with fans on the ground. I know about vertical wind tunnel (indoor skydiving), but I thought more of a compact and homemade system. Not a system who could allow you to fly very high, or to do complex acrobatics, but just enough power and air to maintain a body 50cm high.

I saw videos of people creating flying vehicle (like a hoverbike), but if you do the contrary, and you put the motors and the propeller on the floor, will it be enough power to fly above?
I made some research, and I saw some paramotor engine with a thrust between 30 and 90kg. With 4 like that arrange in square, maybe it will be enough.

Or maybe a lot of little electric ducted fan with 5kg thrust (those used in modelism).
Or just one "big" motor with one "big" propeller.

The real issue is to know if it could be a "small" installation, and not a giant building with giant motor and huge amount of power. I saw some mobile vertical wind tunnel, but I would like to know if it's possible to do smaller. More like a podium.

Of course I'm not going to jump on a big propeller spinning very fast. I was just wondering if it may be possible!

Thanks for your help (And sorry for my english!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
justsomeonenew said:
Hello everybody,

I have a crazy idea in my mind, and I need help of someone who knows about physics !

I was wondering if it could be possible to lift a human body with fans on the ground. I know about vertical wind tunnel (indoor skydiving), but I thought more of a compact and homemade system. Not a system who could allow you to fly very high, or to do complex acrobatics, but just enough power and air to maintain a body 50cm high.

I saw videos of people creating flying vehicle (like a hoverbike), but if you do the contrary, and you put the motors and the propeller on the floor, will it be enough power to fly above?
I made some research, and I saw some paramotor engine with a thrust between 30 and 90kg. With 4 like that arrange in square, maybe it will be enough.

Or maybe a lot of little electric ducted fan with 5kg thrust (those used in modelism).
Or just one "big" motor with one "big" propeller.

The real issue is to know if it could be a "small" installation, and not a giant building with giant motor and huge amount of power. I saw some mobile vertical wind tunnel, but I would like to know if it's possible to do smaller. More like a podium.

Of course I'm not going to jump on a big propeller spinning very fast. I was just wondering if it may be possible!

Thanks for your help (And sorry for my english!)
Welcome to the PF.

Sounds like a personal hovercraft, but with the motor and fan on the ground. Do you want the fan to follow you around under the skirt somehow? Or are you just going to stay in one place?

http://www.toxel.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/hovercraft05.jpg
http://www.toxel.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/hovercraft05.jpg

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF.

Sounds like a personal hovercraft, but with the motor and fan on the ground. Do you want the fan to follow you around under the skirt somehow? Or are you just going to stay in one place?

Not really an hovercraft. More like that :
flyers-at-skydrenaline-zone.jpg

Here's something even cheaper:
http://c.shld.net/rpx/i/s/i/spin/image/spin_prod_943128812?hei=1000&wid=1000&op_sharpen=1

Likes Rx7man and berkeman
jedishrfu said:
Here's something even cheaper:
http://c.shld.net/rpx/i/s/i/spin/image/spin_prod_943128812?hei=1000&wid=1000&op_sharpen=1

Amazingly, that's actually more dangerous than the fan version, though.

Likes berkeman

1. How do fans help lift a body?

Fans help lift a body by creating a force called lift force, which is generated by the difference in air pressure above and below the body. The fans provide a source of high pressure air below the body, while the air above the body remains at a lower pressure. This creates a pressure difference that results in a net upward force, lifting the body.

2. What is the role of physics in understanding lift body with fans?

Physics plays a crucial role in understanding lift body with fans. It helps us understand the principles of aerodynamics, specifically Bernoulli's principle, which explains the relationship between air pressure and velocity. It also helps us understand the forces acting on the body, such as lift force and weight, and how they are affected by the fan's airflow.

3. How does the angle of the fan blades affect lift?

The angle of the fan blades, also known as the pitch, can affect the amount of lift generated. A greater pitch angle can create a stronger airflow and therefore a larger pressure difference, resulting in more lift force. However, if the angle is too steep, it can create turbulence and reduce the efficiency of the lift system.

4. Can lift body with fans be used for heavier objects?

Yes, lift body with fans can be used for heavier objects. The amount of lift force generated depends on the size and speed of the fans, as well as the shape and weight of the body. By increasing the size and speed of the fans, it is possible to lift heavier objects.

5. Are there any practical applications of lift body with fans?

Yes, there are several practical applications of lift body with fans. It is commonly used in hovercrafts, where fans create a cushion of air that lifts the vehicle off the ground. It is also used in some aircraft designs, such as the Harrier Jump Jet, which uses fans to create vertical lift during takeoff and landing. Additionally, lift body with fans is also used in some amusement park rides, such as the Flying Carpet, where fans create a lifting force to simulate flying.