Lifting height of a box in a truck going over a speed bump

In summary: Since the truck has a limited capability to resist the upward movement of the package, the box will reach a greater height than the truck.
jamesdhurai
Homework Statement
how to find lifting height
Relevant Equations
Any
hey guys need to know the way to find the solution to the problem.

Consider a truck which is traveled in a speed of 60km per hour.

A package weighs 50 kg is placed inside the truck with side supports to arrest the movement in x and y direction. But the top movement (z axis) is not arrested.

In this case, if the car moves over a speed breaker, how high the package will lift from its position?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited:
Likes Adesh and PeroK
Welcome to the PF. :smile:
jamesdhurai said:
Homework Statement:: how to find lifting height
Relevant Equations:: Any

hey guys need to know the way to find the solution to the problem.

Consider a truck which is traveled in a speed of 60km per hour.

A package weighs 50 kg is placed inside the truck with side supports to arrest the movement in x and y direction. But the top movement (z axis) is not arrested.

In this case, if the car moves over a speed breaker, how high the package will lift from its position?
We require you to show your own work on schoolwork problems before we can offer tutorial help. That said, as @Lnewqban points out, the height that the box will rise to depends on the height and shape of the speedbump, and the suspension of the truck. You must have been given more information in this problem, no?

Lnewqban said:
That height depends on the dimensions of the speed bump and on the capability of the truck's suspension to reduce the energy transferred to the package.

Not all speed bumps produce the same reaction.
Please, see:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_bump#Comparison_to_speed_bumps

:cool:
Sure, but it is possible to calculate an upper bound.

Welcome, James :cool:
Sorry, I did not see it was your first post.
Could you show us the whole wording of the problem and your work so far?

Likes hmmm27
haruspex said:
Sure, but it is possible to calculate an upper bound.

"the distance between front bumper and the box" isn't really a calculation, more of an observation, from a safe distance.

(abject apologies to the OP if that's actually the textbook answer)

hmmm27 said:
"the distance between front bumper and the box" isn't really a calculation, more of an observation, from a safe distance.

(abject apologies to the OP if that's actually the textbook answer)
I was not referring to that (is that from the link you posted?). It is possible to calculate an upper bound from the info in the question.

I didn't post a link (that I recall): just one of the many vague uses for "" to indicate personal distancing from a saying.

I don't see how you could calculate an upper bound, given the incredible breadth of stick-figure physics.

(and I'd like to change my answer : using the front bumper to stop the rotation, the box could be flung into outer space, given enough ridiculous parameters for the "truck" and "speedbump")

hmmm27 said:
using the front bumper to stop the rotation, the box could be flung into outer space, given enough ridiculous parameters for the "truck" and "speedbump")
What vaguely reasonable mechanism would cause the box to rise faster than the max upward speed of the bed it rests on?

haruspex said:
What vaguely reasonable mechanism would cause the box to rise faster than the max upward speed of the bed it rests on?
None that I can think of, offhand. Would you expect it to ?

hmmm27 said:
None that I can think of, offhand. Would you expect it to ?
No, which is why the jolt would not propel the box to a greater height than it could, in principle, raise the truck to. And that is limited by the KE of the truck.

In practice, the box does reach a greater height than the truck does because of the truck's suspension. But that is because the upward movement of the top of the truck is slowed as the suspension reaches relaxed position and the portion of mass below the suspension holds it back. Meanwhile, the box rises a little further under its acquired KE.

haruspex said:
No, which is why the jolt would not propel the box to a greater height than it could, in principle, raise the truck to. And that is limited by the KE of the truck.
We seem to be talking at cross-purposes. Your question was concerning velocity, not height.

Last edited:
hmmm27 said:
We seem to be talking at cross-purposes. Your question was concerning velocity, not height.
The height the box reaches is determined by the vertical component of its launch velocity.

1. How does the lifting height of a box in a truck change when going over a speed bump?

When a truck goes over a speed bump, the lifting height of a box inside the truck will increase due to the upward force exerted on the truck's suspension system. This force causes the truck to temporarily rise, resulting in a higher lifting height for the box.

2. Does the weight of the box affect the lifting height when going over a speed bump?

Yes, the weight of the box does affect the lifting height when going over a speed bump. The heavier the box, the more force it exerts on the truck's suspension system, causing a greater increase in lifting height.

3. Is there a maximum lifting height that a box can reach when going over a speed bump?

Yes, there is a maximum lifting height that a box can reach when going over a speed bump. This maximum height is determined by the truck's suspension system and the weight of the box. Once the suspension system reaches its limit, the lifting height will not increase any further.

4. How does the speed of the truck affect the lifting height of the box when going over a speed bump?

The speed of the truck does affect the lifting height of the box when going over a speed bump. The faster the truck is moving, the greater the force exerted on the suspension system, resulting in a higher lifting height for the box. However, at very high speeds, the lifting height may not increase significantly due to the truck's momentum.

5. Can the lifting height of the box be reduced when going over a speed bump?

Yes, the lifting height of the box can be reduced when going over a speed bump. This can be achieved by slowing down the truck, which reduces the force exerted on the suspension system. Additionally, using shock-absorbing materials in the truck's suspension system can also help to reduce the lifting height of the box when going over a speed bump.