Light absorption and reflection

In summary, the classical interaction of light with matter according to the Drude-Lorentz model involves a complex wave-number k, with its real part representing the propagation of light and its imaginary part acting as a damping factor. The behavior of light in this scenario can be determined by considering the values of Re(k) and Im(k). For example, if Re(k)=0 and Im(k) does not equal 0, this indicates an evanescent wave, which could mean that the light is either absorbed or reflected. However, at a resonance frequency (k->infinity), the reflectance coefficient is 1, suggesting that the light beam is entirely reflected and there is no absorption. This raises the question of whether there should be a resonance
eoghan
Hi there!
I have a question about the classical interaction of light with matter according the Drude-Lorentz model. Let's suppose that the light in matter has a wave-number k which in general is complex. Then the real part of k accounts for the propagation of light, while the imaginary part of k is a dumping factor. Can I figure out the behavior of light? I mean, e.g. if [tex]Re(k)=0[/tex] and [tex]Im(k)\neq0[/tex] then I have an evanescent wave: does this mean that light is absorbed or reflected?
Thank you

Science news on Phys.org
Uhm.. sorry, but I'm not english... don't you answer because my english is too bad that you don't understand the question or just because you don't know the answer?
In the former case I'll try to put it in other words:

The reflectance coefficient at a resonance frequency (k->infinity) is 1, therefore the light beam is reflected entirely and there is no absorption. But at a resonance frequency, shouldn't I get a resonance absorption?

1. How does light absorption and reflection work?

Light absorption and reflection are two processes that occur when light interacts with matter. When light hits an object, it can either be absorbed or reflected. When light is absorbed, it is taken in by the object's atoms and converted into heat energy. When light is reflected, it bounces off the surface of the object and is redirected in a different direction.

2. What factors affect the amount of light that is absorbed or reflected?

The amount of light that is absorbed or reflected depends on several factors, including the type of material the light is interacting with, the color or wavelength of the light, and the angle at which the light is hitting the object. Different materials have different properties that determine how they interact with light, and different colors of light have different energies that can be absorbed or reflected differently. The angle at which the light hits an object also plays a role in how much is absorbed or reflected, as some materials are more reflective at certain angles than others.

3. How is light absorption and reflection important in everyday life?

Light absorption and reflection are important in many aspects of our daily lives. For example, they play a crucial role in the colors we see, as objects reflect certain colors of light while absorbing others. This is also important in art and photography, as the colors and lighting of a scene can greatly affect its appearance. In addition, light absorption and reflection are important in materials science, as they can impact the properties and functionality of different materials.

4. What is the difference between opaque, translucent, and transparent materials in terms of light absorption and reflection?

Opaque materials do not allow any light to pass through them, so they absorb or reflect all of the light that hits them. Translucent materials allow some light to pass through, but also absorb and reflect some of it. Transparent materials allow most or all of the light to pass through, with minimal absorption or reflection.

5. Can light be both absorbed and reflected?

Yes, it is possible for light to be both absorbed and reflected by an object. This can happen when the object has different properties that cause different wavelengths of light to be absorbed or reflected, or when the light hits the object at different angles. For example, a red object may appear red because it absorbs other colors of light and reflects red light, but it may also reflect some other colors of light that contribute to its overall appearance.