Light and atom interaction hamiltonian

In summary: If I understand your notation, the terms in (b) either lower the state and absorb a photon (which cannot happen) or raise the state and emit a photon (which also cannot happen). As for the above, the interaction Hamiltonian connects (g,n) with (e, n-1).Quantization of the interaction Hamiltonian may be done in a few different ways, but the canonical quantization method is to start with the Jaynes-Cummings model. This model considers the dipole moment to be quantized in terms of two components: thex and y-components.
naima
Gold Member
I found this in a Phd thesis

consider a two level atom interacting with the electromagnetic field.
The atom is described by
##H_{at} = \hbar ω_0 J_z##
a monomode electric field is described by
##H_{em} = \hbar \omega (a^\dagger a + 1/2)##
We have ##E = E_0(a^\dagger + a)## and the dipolar moment is ##D = d_o(J_+ - J_-)##
We have then ##H_{int} = -DE##

So this interference hamitonian contains four terms
a) ##a J_+ and a^\dagger J_-##
but also
b) ##a J_- and a^\dagger J_+##
the author writes later a formula without the b) terms.
How can we make them disappear (mathematically)?

Physics news on Phys.org
Physically, they are zero because they correspond to transitions to non-existing states (as we just have two states). There is also some more mathematical argument that I forgot, but they are really zero.

I have no doubt about it. But as he begins with a hamiltonian with the b) terms i think that there is a mathematicall trick to erase them.

Take (g,n). Does his hamiltonian permit to get (e,n+1) which exists?

Last edited:
Has an interference hamiltonian to commute with the free hamiltonian?

naima said:
I have no doubt about it. But as he begins with a hamiltonian with the b) terms i think that there is a mathematicall trick to erase them.

Take (g,n). Does his hamiltonian permit to get (e,n+1) which exists?

If I understand your notation, the terms in (b) either lower the state and absorb a photon (which cannot happen) or raise the state and emit a photon (which also cannot happen). As for the above, the interaction Hamiltonian connects (g,n) with (e, n-1).

My question is about the DE hamiltonian (D is the dipole,E is the electric field)
How is it quantized?
The answer may be in the fact that DE is a scalar product and that E is transverse so it gives 2 components?

Last edited:
Thank you for the link. It says that two of the four terms can be omitted according to the Rotating Frame Approximation (RWA)
So in a full correct calculus we would have a small term corresponding to an electron emitting a photon and getting a higher energy!

Last edited:

1. What is the "Light and atom interaction hamiltonian"?

The "Light and atom interaction hamiltonian" is a mathematical operator used to describe the interaction between light and atoms. It takes into account the energy of the light and the energy levels of the atoms to determine the strength of the interaction.

2. How does the hamiltonian affect the behavior of atoms in the presence of light?

The hamiltonian affects the behavior of atoms by determining the probability of the atom absorbing or emitting photons of light. It also determines the energy levels that the atom can transition between, which ultimately affects the overall behavior of the atom.

3. What is the significance of the hamiltonian in quantum mechanics?

The hamiltonian is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics as it describes the total energy of a system. In the case of light and atom interaction, it helps predict and understand the behavior of atoms in the presence of light, which is crucial in many areas of science and technology.

4. How is the hamiltonian derived for light and atom interaction?

The hamiltonian for light and atom interaction is derived using mathematical principles and equations from quantum mechanics. It takes into account the electric dipole moment of the atom, the electric field of the light, and the energy levels of the atom to determine the interaction between the two.

5. Can the hamiltonian be used to describe other types of interactions?

Yes, the hamiltonian can be used to describe a variety of interactions between particles, molecules, and fields. It is a versatile tool in quantum mechanics and has applications in many fields such as chemistry, materials science, and engineering.