Heisenberg interaction Hamiltonian for square lattice

In summary, the Heisenberg interaction hamiltonian for a square lattice can be rewritten in terms of bosonic operators and transformed using a Bogoliubov transformation to diagonalize it. The resulting terms with a^\dagger_i a^\dagger_{i+\delta} do not violate momentum conservation and are essential for distinguishing between ferromagnetic and antiferromagnetic behavior.
JVanUW
Hi,

I just started self studying solid state and I'm having trouble figuring out what the hamiltonian for a square lattice would be when considering the Heisenberg interaction.

I reformulated the dot product into 1/2( Si+Si+δ+ +Si+δ+S-- ) + SizSi+δz

and use

Siz = S-ai+ai
Si+ = √2S]ai
Si+δz=-S+ai+δ+ai+δ

Etc.

But I'm getting for the terms of the hamiltonian

aiai+δ +ai+δ+ai+ ...

but don't these terms violate momentum conservation?
What is the real Heisenberg interaction hamiltonian for the square lattice?

Physics news on Phys.org
Firstly, let's correct your terminology a little bit. The Heisenberg interaction is just:

[tex]\mathcal{H}=\mathcal{J}\sum_{i} S_i \cdot S_{i+\delta} [/tex]
You have rewritten it in terms of [itex]S^z, S^+[/itex] and [itex]S^-[/itex] operators which is fine.

Your next step is to write it with respect to bosonic operators [itex]a, a^\dagger[/itex] in the Holstein-Primakoff representation, in which case the bosonic operators create and destroy spin waves. It appears you have taken [itex]\mathcal{J}[/itex] to be positive, in which case you have the antiferromagnetic model where spins on neighbouring sites prefer to be antiparallel. This is implicit in your choice of S and -S in the H-P representation. So far your bosonic operators are in the position representation.

When you work all this out, you get terms with [itex]a^\dagger_i a^\dagger_{i+\delta}[/itex]. These do not violate momentum conservation because they are still in the position representation - if you Fourier transform them you'll see there is no problem. You are SUPPOSED to get them. This is what makes a ferromagnet (J<0) different from an antiferromagnet (J>0).

In order to diagonalize the Hamiltonian, you must do two steps. 1. Fourier transform it. 2. Use a Bogoliubov transformation to get rid of the [itex]a^\dagger_i a^\dagger_{i+\delta}[/itex] terms. Google this if you don't know what it is.

1. What is the Heisenberg interaction Hamiltonian for a square lattice?

The Heisenberg interaction Hamiltonian is a mathematical model used to describe the interactions between neighboring spins in a square lattice. It is based on the principles of quantum mechanics and is often used in condensed matter physics to study magnetic materials.

2. How does the Heisenberg interaction Hamiltonian differ from other interaction models?

The Heisenberg interaction Hamiltonian is different from other interaction models, such as the Ising model, because it takes into account the quantum nature of the spins in the lattice. This means that it can accurately describe the behavior of magnetic materials at low temperatures, where quantum effects are more prominent.

3. What are the factors that influence the strength of the Heisenberg interaction in a square lattice?

The strength of the Heisenberg interaction in a square lattice is influenced by several factors, including the distance between neighboring spins, the orientation of the spins, and the strength of the magnetic field. It is also affected by the temperature of the system, as higher temperatures can disrupt the ordered alignment of spins and weaken the interaction.

4. How is the Heisenberg interaction Hamiltonian used in research?

The Heisenberg interaction Hamiltonian is used in research to study the properties of magnetic materials, such as their magnetic ordering, phase transitions, and critical behavior. It is also used to understand the behavior of spin systems in other areas of physics, such as quantum computing and spintronics.

5. What are the limitations of the Heisenberg interaction Hamiltonian for a square lattice?

While the Heisenberg interaction Hamiltonian is a powerful tool for studying magnetism in square lattices, it has some limitations. For example, it assumes that all spins in the lattice are identical, which may not be the case in real materials. It also does not take into account long-range interactions, which can play a significant role in some systems.