1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Light Bulb and Transmitted Intensity?

1. Oct 4, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

You have a light bulb where the filament (in vacuum space) starts to glow. This light hits the glass of the bulb at 90 degrees from distance R and is transmitted through the glass of thickness s into the air, of index of refraction nair.

So light travels like this: vacuum -> glass (thickness s) -> air.

How do you find the intensity of light transmitted?
    Answer should be in terms of the absorption coefficient α, nair, R, thickness s, and Iο. Index of refraction of a vacuum is 1.
    2. Relevant equations
    Beer Lambert's law?
    Fresnel's Equations?

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried using Fresnel's equations but couldn't incorporate thickness s , R, and the absorption coefficient α.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2015 #2

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Not my field at all (I've long since forgotten what Beer and Fresnel is all about) but since you haven't had had a reply...

Presumably the light emitted by the filament is spread out uniformly over the surface area of the sphere R. So the larger R the more spread out the light is and the lower the intensity ("amount of light per unit area").

Then it's attenuated by the absorption of the glass (proportional to thickness?)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted