Light ray equation: derivation?

In summary, Maciej is struggling to understand the ray equation for light in a medium with changing refractive index. He shares the equation and asks for help understanding its derivation. Another person explains that it can be obtained from Fermat's principle using a variational approach.
mvvdsteen
For a course in Experimental Aerdynamics I have to study a section on Optical Measurement Techniques. My oral exam is coming up and there is this little thing I don't understand. It annoys me expremely. It is the ray equation. It is about light ray path in a medium with changing refractive index. I will copy what's in the lecture notes, and maybe someone will know the derivation of this formulae.

[tex]\vec{e}_r[/tex]: vector towards centre of curvature
[tex]\vec{e}_s[/tex]: vector in path direction

Deflection (1):
[tex] n \frac{\partial \vec{e}_s}{\partial s} = \frac{\partial n}{\partial r} \vec{e}_r [/tex]

Acceleration (2):
[tex]\frac{\partial n}{\partial s} \vec{e}_s [/tex]

Combining (adding (2) to both sides of (1))

[tex]\frac {\partial (n \cdot \vec{e}_s)}{\partial s}=\frac{\partial}{\partial s} (n \cdot \frac{\partial \vec{x}}{\partial s})=\nabla n [/tex]

with [tex]\vec{x}=[x,y,z]^T[/tex]

Can somebody help me out by giving the derivation or a link to a page that contains it?

Kind regards,

Maciej

PS: So you can't let the tex automatically span more lines?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Does somebody know anything more about this set of equations?

Hi mvvdsteen,

You can easily obtain this equation from the standard variational principle for light. This principle, called Fermat's principle, states that light will take the path which extremizes the time of flight.

Ok, so how does it work out? The time of flight is given by the integral [tex] T = \int \frac{ds}{v} ,[/tex] where [tex] ds [/tex] is the infinitesimal arc length and [tex] v [/tex] is the speed of light. You know that the speed of light in a medium of refractive index [tex] n [/tex] is just [tex] v = c/n [/tex], so you rewrite the time of flight as [tex] T = \frac{1}{c} \int n(\vec{x}(s)) ds, [/tex] where I have indicated the dependence on arc length [tex] s [/tex]. Following the usual variational approach, we try to find which path extremizes this quantity. Consider varying the path of the light ray from [tex] \vec{x}(s) [/tex] to [tex] \vec{x}(s) + \delta \vec{x}(s) [/tex] with end points fixed. The first order variation in the time of flight is given by [tex] \delta T = \frac{1}{c} \int \[ \delta n ds + n \delta ds \], [/tex] and note that it is important to remember that the infinitesimal arc length changes too! We can easily calculate the first term as [tex] \delta n = \nabla n \cdot \delta \vec{x}. [/tex] The variation of arc length is also easy to calculate: [tex] \delta ds = \sqrt{(d\vec{x} + d \delta \vec{x})^2} - \sqrt{(d\vec{x})^2} = ds \frac{d\vec{x}}{ds} \cdot \frac{d \delta \vec{x}}{ds}, [/tex] where I have kept only first order terms in [tex] \delta \vec{x} [/tex]. We can now write the variation of T as [tex] \delta T = \frac{1}{c} \int [ \nabla n \cdot \delta \vec{x} + n \frac{d\vec{x}}{ds} \cdot \frac{d \delta \vec{x}}{ds} ] ds = \frac{1}{c} \int [ \nabla n - \frac{d}{ds}\left(n \frac{d\vec{x}}{ds}\right) ]\cdot \delta \vec{x} ds. [/tex] The last equality there follows from an integration by parts and the fact that [tex] \delta \vec{x} [/tex] vanishes at the end points. The extremal path has [tex] \delta T = 0 [/tex] for arbitrary variations [tex] \delta \vec{x} [/tex]. This implies that the extremal path satisfies [tex] \nabla n - \frac{d}{ds}\left(n \frac{d\vec{x}}{ds}\right) = 0, [/tex] which is the desired equation.

If you haven't seen it before, the variational approach is extremely powerful and elegant. I like it a lot. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

1. How is the light ray equation derived?

The light ray equation is derived using the principles of geometric optics, specifically Snell's law and the law of reflection. It can also be derived using the Fermat's principle, which states that light travels the path that takes the least time.

2. What are the variables in the light ray equation?

The variables in the light ray equation are the angle of incidence (θ1), the angle of refraction (θ2), the refractive index of the medium (n), and the speed of light in vacuum (c).

3. How does the light ray equation determine the path of light?

The light ray equation determines the path of light by calculating the angle of refraction at the interface between two media. This angle is determined by the refractive index of the two media and the angle of incidence.

4. Can the light ray equation be applied to all types of light?

Yes, the light ray equation can be applied to all types of light, including visible light, ultraviolet light, and infrared light. However, it may not accurately predict the behavior of other types of electromagnetic radiation, such as X-rays or gamma rays.

5. How is the light ray equation used in practical applications?

The light ray equation is used in various practical applications, such as designing lenses for glasses and cameras, calculating the path of light in optical fibers, and understanding the behavior of light in different media. It is also used in industries such as advertising, where the path of light is manipulated to create desired visual effects.