1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Orbital and Spin Angular momentum of light derivation

1. Sep 5, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The momentum carried by an electromagnetic field is [;\vec{P}(\vec{x}, t) = \frac{1}{4\pi c} \int d\vec{x}\vec{E}(\vec{x},t) \times \vec{B}(\vec{x},t);]

show that for a finite field extension
    [;\vec{J}(\vec{x}, t) = \frac{1}{4\pi c}\int -i A_i(\vec{x},t)\vec{L}E_i(\vec{x},t) + \vec{E}(\vec{x},t) \times \vec{A}(\vec{x},t) d\vec{x};] where [;\vec{J};] is the angular momentum, [;L = -ir \times \nabla;], and [;\vec{A};] is the vector potential in radiation gauge, i.e. [;A^0 = 0;] and [;\nabla \cdot \vec{A} = 0;] (hint: using partial integration)
    2. Relevant equations
    coulomb gauge [;\vec{B} = \nabla \times \vec{A};]

3. The attempt at a solution
    There are some things in the wording in the problem that I do not understand so I am making some assumptions that may not even be true.

1) Finite field extension means that the field does NOT go to infinite so [;\nabla \cdot \vec{E} = 0;]
    2) The subscripts in the [;-i A_i(\vec{x},t)\vec{L}E_i(\vec{x},t);] represents a sum.
    3) I have no clue what partial integration is.
    [;\int \vec{x} \times (\vec{E} \times \vec{B}) d\vec{x};]
    [;\int \vec{x} \times (\vec{E} \times (\nabla \times \vec{A})) d\vec{x};]
    using triple product expansion
    [;\int \vec{x} \times (\nabla(\vec{E} \cdot \vec{A}) - \vec{A}(\vec{E}\cdot \nabla)) d\vec{x};]
    distributing the [;\vec{x} \times;]
    [;\int \vec{x} \times \nabla(\vec{E} \cdot \vec{A}) - \vec{x} \times \vec{A}(\vec{E}\cdot \nabla) d\vec{x};]

This is where I get stuck. If I assume that [;\nabla \cdot \vec{E} = 0;], I have no idea where to get the [;\vec{E} \times \vec{A};] term in the answer I am supposed to get. If I don't assume that, I try to expand my [;\nabla(\vec{E} \cdot \vec{A});] term using some vector identity the [;\nabla \cdot \vec{E};] cancels anyway and I simply get the equation in my second line of work.

My gut tells me that I missing something having to do with this "partial integration" business. I have googled this and I get it as an alternative term to integration by parts or as integrating a partial derivative. If I am to integrate by parts, what am I integrating by parts? I don't have a product of two functions I have different vector products of different vector fields. If I am supposed to integrate some partial derivative, which one? I have so many!

please help, thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Your TeX formulas get displayed properly if you enclose them in $$ or ## (inline mode). Currently they are hard to read.

4. Sep 5, 2015 #3
    I can't seem to edit the post so I am re-posting here.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The momentum carried by an electromagnetic field is $$\vec{P}(\vec{x}, t) = \frac{1}{4\pi c} \int d\vec{x}\vec{E}(\vec{x},t) \times \vec{B}(\vec{x},t)$$

show that for a finite field extension
    $$\vec{J}(\vec{x}, t) = \frac{1}{4\pi c}\int -i A_i(\vec{x},t)\vec{L}E_i(\vec{x},t) + \vec{E}(\vec{x},t) \times \vec{A}(\vec{x},t) d\vec{x}] where $\vec{J}$$ is the angular momentum, $$L = -ir \times \nabla$, and [\vec{A}$$ is the vector potential in radiation gauge, i.e. $$A^0 = 0$$ and $$\nabla \cdot \vec{A} = 0$$ (hint: using partial integration)
    2. Relevant equations
    coulomb gauge $$\vec{B} = \nabla \times \vec{A}$$

3. The attempt at a solution
    There are some things in the wording in the problem that I do not understand so I am making some assumptions that may not even be true.

1) Finite field extension means that the field does NOT go to infinite so $$\nabla \cdot \vec{E} = 0$$
    2) The subscripts in the $$-i A_i(\vec{x},t)\vec{L}E_i(\vec{x},t)$$ represents a sum.
    3) I have no clue what partial integration is.
    $$\int \vec{x} \times (\vec{E} \times \vec{B}) d\vec{x}$$
    $$\int \vec{x} \times (\vec{E} \times (\nabla \times \vec{A})) d\vec{x}$$
    using triple product expansion
    $$\int \vec{x} \times (\nabla(\vec{E} \cdot \vec{A}) - \vec{A}(\vec{E}\cdot \nabla)) d\vec{x}$$
    distributing the $$\hat{x}\times$$
    $$\int \vec{x} \times \nabla(\vec{E} \cdot \vec{A}) - \vec{x} \times \vec{A}(\vec{E}\cdot \nabla) d\vec{x}$$

This is where I get stuck. If I assume that $$\nabla \cdot \vec{E} = 0$$, I have no idea where to get the $$\vec{E} \times \vec{A}$$ term in the answer I am supposed to get. If I don't assume that, I try to expand my $$\nabla(\vec{E} \cdot \vec{A})$$ term using some vector identity the $$\nabla \cdot \vec{E}$$ cancels anyway and I simply get the equation in my second line of work.

My gut tells me that I missing something having to do with this "partial integration" business. I have googled this and I get it as an alternative term to integration by parts or as integrating a partial derivative. If I am to integrate by parts, what am I integrating by parts? I don't have a product of two functions I have different vector products of different vector fields. If I am supposed to integrate some partial derivative, which one? I have so many!

please help, thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted