Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

LIGO detects no gravitational waves from gamma ray burst

1. Jan 23, 2008 #1

SF

On February 1, 2007, the Konus-Wind, Integral, Messenger, and Swift gamma-ray satellites measured a short but intense outburst of energetic gamma rays originating in the direction of M31, the Andromeda galaxy, located 2.5 million light-years away. The majority of such short (less than two seconds in duration) gamma-ray bursts (GRBs) are thought to emanate from the merger and coalescence of two massive but compact objects, such as neutron stars or black-hole systems. They can also come from astronomical objects known as soft gamma-ray repeaters, which are less common than binary coalescence events and emit less energetic gamma rays.

During the intense blast of gamma rays, known as GRB070201, the 4-km and 2-km gravitational-wave interferometers at the Hanford facility were in science mode and collecting data. They did not, however, measure any gravitational waves in the aftermath of the burst.

That non-detection was itself significant.

http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewpr.html?pid=24501

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 23, 2008 #2
    Hi SF,

Very interesting! Can someone describe what a "soft gamma-ray repeater" is?

Jon

4. Jan 23, 2008 #3

wolram

Gold Member

It is supposed to be a Magnetastar (spelling) another cosmological oddity, or that is what i have read.

Edit

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soft_gamma_repeater

Last edited: Jan 23, 2008
  5. Jan 23, 2008 #4

wolram

Gold Member

6. Jan 23, 2008 #5
  7. Jan 23, 2008 #6

wolram

Gold Member

Oh no i just meant it as a way gamma rays can come from things that would not produce gravitational radiation.

8. Jan 23, 2008 #7
    Oh, I see.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?