1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lim x->0 e^(-1/x^2)/x^3 (Don't Understand Why I Can't Do It!)

1. Nov 8, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

It is part of a larger problem, but the only hangup I have had is computing this limit.
    lim x->0 e^(-1/x^2)/x^3.

It's to show that the function f(x) = e^(-1/x^2) (when x is not 0) and 0 (when x is 0) is not equal to its Maclurin Series. I know that if I can show that the derivatives of f(x) are equal to zero when x=0 (a) then I can prove what the problem is asking. Showing why the derivatives equal zero has been a problem thus far though...
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I put it into Wolfram Alpha and know that it's equal to zero, but I don't know how to get it.
    I know that L'Hopital's rule applies because it is 0/0
    so:
    ((2/x^3)*e^(-1/x^2))/(3x^2) = 2e^(-1/x^2)/3x^5
    Doesn't this pattern keep repeating giving one 0/0 no matter how many times one differentiated? It will always have e^(-1/x^2) on the top and some power of x which will continue to grow on the bottom. How can this limit be computed? Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2009 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

As [itex]x \rightarrow 0[/itex] which goes to zero first? e-1/x2 or x3?

4. Nov 8, 2009 #3
    I don't quite understand what you're asking; Both go to zero and I don't understand how one can do so first...

5. Nov 8, 2009 #4
    [tex]\frac{e^{-1/x^2}}{x^3}=\frac{x^{-3}}{e^{1/x^2}}[/tex]

Try l'Hopital twice on that instead, simplifying after each application.

6. Nov 8, 2009 #5
    Thanks! Is it possible to generalize that e^(-1/x^2)/x^n as n->0 (n>2 and an integer) also approaches 0?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook