1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limit as x approaches 0 for given function

1. Aug 5, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

lim x --> 0 for the function sqrt((1/x^2)-(1/x)) - sqrt((1/x^2)-(1/x))

Analyze the cases x > 0 and x < 0

3. The attempt at a solution

The solutions book simplifies the expression to

2x/(abs(x)*(sqrt(1+x)+sqrt(1-x)))

I know how to evaluate the limit from here. But I'm wondering why did they only place the absolute value sign for the single x in the denominator that multiplies with this (sqrt(1+x)+sqrt(1-x)) expression. Why isn't the absolute value sign around every single x?

The answer is that the limit doesnt exist.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 5, 2014 #2
    It looks like maybe your problem statement has a typo, but that doesn't seem to matter to the question that you asked.

The absolute value comes into play because ##\sqrt{x^2}=|x|##.

4. Aug 5, 2014 #3

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Why do you expect one?

5. Aug 5, 2014 #4
    Ohh right I forgot out that equality. So you're saying all they did was sub in abs(x) wherever there as x^2?

6. Aug 5, 2014 #5

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your question must have a "typo" in it; what you have written is ##\sqrt{f(x)} - \sqrt{f(x)}##, which is identically 0 for all positive values of ##f(x) = 1/x^2 - 1/x.##

7. Aug 5, 2014 #6

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

It just appears once. They replaced ##\sqrt{x^2}## by abs(x) (note the square root), because ##\sqrt{x^2} = |x|##.

8. Aug 5, 2014 #7
    No. I'm saying that they used the equality, ##\sqrt{x^2}=|x|##, as part of rewriting the given algebraic expression in way that is more easily analyzed in the context of this problem.

One could say that they replaced certain instances of ##\sqrt{x^2}## with instances of ##|x|##.

I don't like the word "substitute" to describe what is going on here. I can't exactly put my finger on why I don't like it. It just seems like the wrong word to use.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted