1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limit as x approaches 0+ of x^(1/x)

1. Jan 19, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

limit as x approaches 0+ of x^(1/x)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Usually I solve this limit by rewriting the limit as e^log(f(x)) and applying L'hopital rule. However:

(All limits approach 0+)

Lim x^(1/x) = exp( Lim log(x^(1/x)) ) = exp( Lim log(x) / x )

This is where I'd usually apply L'hopital rule and solve the problem. I can't tho, since x tends to 0 and log(x) tends to - infinity. I'm stuck here..

If anyone could point me in the right direction I'd appreciate.
    Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If log(x) approaches -infinity and x approaches 0 and is positive then log(x)/x approaches -infinity. Good idea not to use l'Hopital on it. It's not indeterminant.

4. Jan 19, 2013 #3
    Oh lol... I did so many exercises with l'Hopital rule that I forgot to check that...
    Thanks a lot!

5. Jan 19, 2013 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You did catch it. You realized you can't use l'Hopital. That would have given you the wrong answer! That's a good piece of work right there. If it's not indeterminant the answer should be easy to get. That's all you missed.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook