1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limit as x goes to 0 of ((sin(x)/x) - 1) /x

1. Oct 10, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the value of the limit as x goes to 0 of ((sin(x)/x) - 1) /x WITHOUT L'HOPITAL'S RULE.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried to get the expression inside the limit in terms of the fundamental trig limits, but all I got to was (1/x)*((sin(x)/x) -1). I want to say that the limit of this product as x -> 0 is equal to the desired derivative, and that since the limit of the ((sin(x)/x) -1) part as x -> 0 is 0, that the value of the limit is 0.

However, I'm not convinced that this solution follows from the basic limit laws. In fact, I don't think it does, since lim(1/x) as x-> 0 does not exist. How can I solve this question without using L'Hopital's Rule?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2012 #2

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Have you heard of the squeeze theorem? Aka sandwich theorem. You can use this fact :

[itex]|sin(x)| ≤ 1 \forall x \in ℝ[/itex] ( Including (x) = (1/x) )

After massaging the absolute value of this particular (1/x)... remember you can take the limit of the entire inequality and bound your center function between the two outer ones.

4. Oct 10, 2012 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The easy way would be to use the power series expansion of sin(x). Do you know that?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook