Limit as x goes to 0 of ((sin(x)/x) - 1) /x

  • Thread starter Thread starter newageanubis
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Limit
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
newageanubis
Messages
15
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Find the value of the limit as x goes to 0 of ((sin(x)/x) - 1) /x WITHOUT L'HOPITAL'S RULE.

Homework Equations


The Attempt at a Solution


I tried to get the expression inside the limit in terms of the fundamental trig limits, but all I got to was (1/x)*((sin(x)/x) -1). I want to say that the limit of this product as x -> 0 is equal to the desired derivative, and that since the limit of the ((sin(x)/x) -1) part as x -> 0 is 0, that the value of the limit is 0.

However, I'm not convinced that this solution follows from the basic limit laws. In fact, I don't think it does, since lim(1/x) as x-> 0 does not exist. How can I solve this question without using L'Hopital's Rule?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
newageanubis said:

Homework Statement


Find the value of the limit as x goes to 0 of ((sin(x)/x) - 1) /x WITHOUT L'HOPITAL'S RULE.


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


I tried to get the expression inside the limit in terms of the fundamental trig limits, but all I got to was (1/x)*((sin(x)/x) -1). I want to say that the limit of this product as x -> 0 is equal to the desired derivative, and that since the limit of the ((sin(x)/x) -1) part as x -> 0 is 0, that the value of the limit is 0.

However, I'm not convinced that this solution follows from the basic limit laws. In fact, I don't think it does, since lim(1/x) as x-> 0 does not exist. How can I solve this question without using L'Hopital's Rule?

Have you heard of the squeeze theorem? Aka sandwich theorem. You can use this fact :

[itex]|sin(x)| ≤ 1 \forall x \in ℝ[/itex] ( Including (x) = (1/x) )

After massaging the absolute value of this particular (1/x)... remember you can take the limit of the entire inequality and bound your center function between the two outer ones.
 
The easy way would be to use the power series expansion of sin(x). Do you know that?