1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limit of a function of two variables

1. Sep 30, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Given the function
    2rrbbti.png

Study its continuity

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I don't know how to solve this function. Normally I'd try to prove the limit doesn't exist by getting different results trough different ways. However, in this function I don't have a point where the continuity might or might not exist. I have a conjunct of points.

Can anyone give me a hint on how to solve this?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You should have, if you are given an exercise like this, know the theorem that says "a function of two variables is continuous at a point if and only if it is continuous in each variable separately at that point". And even before that you should have learned that elementary functions are continuous where ever the are defined.

Here, all functions are "elementary" and the only place the function is undefined is where a denominator is 0: where [itex]1- x^2- y^2- z^2= 0[/itex]- i.e. on the surface of the unit sphere. Now, what is the limit as you approach the surface of the sphere from "inside" and from "outside"?

4. Sep 30, 2012 #3

z=x²+y²+z²)

limz→1 e1/(1-z) = e1/0 = e = ∞ ≠ (f(0,0) = 1)

Is this resolution correct?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook