1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limit of a sequence on a metric space

1. Dec 7, 2013 #1
    The problem statement, all variables and given/known data.

Let ##(X,d)## be a metric space and let ##D \subset X## a dense subset of ##X##. Suppose that given ##\{x_n\}_{n \in \mathbb N} \subset X## there is ##x \in X## such that ##\lim_{n \to \infty}d(x_n,s)=d(x,s)## for every ##s \in D##. Prove that ##\lim_{n \to \infty} x_n=x##.

The attempt at a solution.

What I did was:
    Let ##\epsilon>0##
    ##d(x_n,x)\leq d(x_n,s)+d(s,x)##. For each ##n \in \mathbb N## I know there is ##s \in D## such that ##d(x_n,s)<\dfrac{\epsilon}{2}##. But, this doesn't say anything, I don't know how find the ##N \in \mathbb N## such that for all ##n\geq N##, ##d(x_n,s)+d(s,x)\leq \epsilon##

Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2013 #2

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You know that D is dense in X. So, either:

x [itex]\in[/itex] D (in which case the result follows)

or

There is a sequence in D converging to x.

Can you take it from there?

It's a bit tricky, this one!

4. Dec 7, 2013 #3
    I'll give it another try with your suggestion:

As ##D## is dense in ##X##, there is a sequence ##\{s_n\}_{n \in \mathbb N}## such that ##s_n \to x## when ##n \to \infty##.

By the triangle inequality,
    ##0\leq d(x_n,x)\leq d(x_n,s_n)+d(s_n, x)##. Again I have problems, because now I know that for a given ##\epsilon##, I can pick ##n_0## : for all ##n\geq n_0 \space## ##d(s_n,x)<\dfrac{\epsilon}{2}##, but how can I control the distance ##d(x_n,s_n)##?

5. Dec 7, 2013 #4

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You know something about ##d(x_n,s_m)## for any m. By choosing the same subscript for the two sequences, you boxed yourself in a bit!

6. Dec 7, 2013 #5
    Sure, thanks for the help.

First, consider ##n_0## : ##d(s_n,x)<\dfrac{\epsilon}{4}## for all ##n\geq n_0##.

Now, I know that ##d(x_n,s) \to d(x,s)## for every ##s \in D##. Then, there exists ##n_1## such that for all ##n\geq n_1##, ##|(d(x_n,s)-d(x,s)|<\dfrac{\epsilon}{2}## for all ##s \in D##. This means ##d(x_n,s)<\dfrac{\epsilon}{2}+d(x,s)## for all ##s \in D## and for all ##n\geq n_1##.

If this inequality holds for every element in ##D##, in particular, it holds for every ##s_n \in \{s_n\}_{n \in \mathbb N}##. If I choose ##N=\max\{n_0,n_1\}##, then, for all ##n\geq N##, ##0\leq d(x_n,s)\leq d(x_n,s_n)+d(s_n,x)<2d(s_n,x)+\dfrac{\epsilon}{2}<2\dfrac{\epsilon}{4}+\dfrac{\epsilon}{2}=\epsilon##.

7. Dec 7, 2013 #6

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You've got the right idea, but you definitely need to use different subscripts for the two sequences. You've got a moving target for the convergence of d(x_n, s_n). Do you see the slight problem with what you've got?

It's also a good idea in general, because when you have two sequence like this, you don't always want to compare x_n with s_n. You want to fix a given member of s: s_m, say, and then consider the sequence d(x_n, s_m) as n →∞

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted