1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limit of f(x) as it approaches from the positive side

1. Dec 10, 2008 #1
    i. Write out the proper definition for
    lim f(x)
    x[tex]\rightarrow[/tex]a+

ii. Let g(x)=x-1cos(x-1) Show that for every N and any b>0 there is a point t E (0,6) so that g(t)>N

iii. Prove that for g as in (ii) we don not have
    lim g(x)
    x[tex]\rightarrow[/tex]0+

I'm not sure what how to do any of these... like.. for the first one, i know that the definition of a limit is for every [tex]\epsilon[/tex]>0 there is some [tex]\delta[/tex] >0 such that, for all x if 0<|x-a|< [tex]\delta[/tex], then |f(x)-L| < [tex]\epsilon[/tex]

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Continue with the first one. All you have to do is drop the absolute value in the delta part. Do you see why that works?

4. Dec 10, 2008 #3
    I can see why you drop the absolute value sign, it then becomes x>a meaning the x's approaching from the positive side.

so what about the others?

Thanks

5. Dec 10, 2008 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's time for you to help. If t is in (0,6) then as t->0, 1/t becomes very large, right? What does cos(1/t) do?

6. Dec 10, 2008 #5
    wouldn't it be either 1 or 0 or -1?

7. Dec 10, 2008 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It oscillates between 1 and -1, yes. So as 1/t becomes very large...?

8. Dec 10, 2008 #7
    does it go to zero?

9. Dec 10, 2008 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, (1/t) becoming very big times something oscillating between -1 and 1, will, I think oscillate between -infintity and +inifinity. You don't agree, right?

10. Dec 10, 2008 #9
    i'm not following you. please elaborate.

11. Dec 14, 2008 #10
    can someone please help me out with this problem.. the person that replied to this thread never fully answered my question

12. Dec 15, 2008 #11

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

As Dick said earlier, it's time for you to do some work. He was trying to explain what the function did without spoonfeeding you the answer. I think he lost patience.

Go back and look at what he said. If you have specific questions, ask them and someone will help you out.

13. Dec 15, 2008 #12

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I didn't lose patience (yet). But sketch a graph of the function. To help answer the given question think about the values of the function g(x) at x=1/(k*pi) where k is an integer.

14. Dec 15, 2008 #13
    o i see, as it approaches zero, the graph starts to oscillate from negative infinity to positive infinity. But i'm not sure how to answer part ii?

15. Dec 15, 2008 #14

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Try and answer the question I asked, what is g(1/(k*pi))?

16. Dec 15, 2008 #15
    well, as k increases for g(1/k*pi)....
    it is negative infinity for k=1
    it is positive infinity for k=2
    and etc...

17. Dec 15, 2008 #16

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Why would that be? If x=1/(k*pi) what is cos(1/x)? k is an integer. It's not some kind of infinity.

18. Dec 15, 2008 #17
    well, i was referring to the actual function because the actual function is x^(-1)cos(1/x) soooo, as k increases... g(1/k*pi) is negative infinity for k=1 and positive infinity for k=2... no?

19. Dec 15, 2008 #18

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Negative infinity? If k=1? How does that follow? I get pi*cos(pi). That's not infinity. Express the answer in terms of k.

20. Dec 15, 2008 #19
    o i see, when k=1, pi*cos(pi)

i'm sorry, i haven't gotten sleep for the passed few days...

soooo, in terms of k... it would be....
    kpi*cos(kpi) right?

21. Dec 15, 2008 #20

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, cos(pi)=(-1), cos(2pi)=(+1) etc. You can also write that as kpi*(-1)^k. Does that help with question ii)? If that seems hard you are probably better off getting some sleep than trying to push on.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?