1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limit of function ( sandwich method)

1. Nov 12, 2008 #1
    limit of function ("sandwich" method)

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Using the "sandwich" method prove that [tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow \propto }(\frac{sin(n)}{n})=0[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

[tex]x_n \leq y_n \leq z_n[/tex]

[tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow \propto }(x_n) \leq \lim_{n\rightarrow \propto }(y_n) \leq \lim_{n\rightarrow \propto }(z_n)[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I am honestly little bit confused at this point.

If the answer is:

[tex]\frac{-1}{n} \leq \frac{sin(n)}{n} \leq \frac{1}{n}[/tex]

then my question is if [itex]n=-\frac{\pi}{4}[/itex] then [tex]\frac{-1}{-0.785}[/tex] will be not less or equal to [tex]\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2*(-0.785)}[/tex], where -0.785=[itex]-\frac{\pi}{4}[/itex], where [itex]\pi \approx 3.14[/itex].

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2008 #2

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: limit of function ("sandwich" method)

Are you sure that n is a real number? Usually n denotes a positive integer in this type of problem.

4. Nov 12, 2008 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

[itex]-1/n\le sin(n)/n\le 1/n[/itex] for n positive. Obviously, if n is negative, just [itex]-1/n\le 1/n[itex] is not true! Your use of [itex]x\rightarrow \propto[/itex] is a little confusing. Did you mean [itex]\infty[/itex]? Even if you do not interpret n as necessarily being positive, if n is "going to [itex]\infty[/itex]" eventually, for some finite N, if n> N, n will be postive. And you can always drop any finite number of terms in an infinite sequence without changing the limit.

5. Nov 13, 2008 #4

Thanks for the posts. I see now, it was my mistake if an=sin(n)/n, an is progression where n are positive integer numbers. So if:
    [tex]-1 \leq sin(n) \leq 1 [/tex]
    then divided by n, I'll get:
    [tex]-1/n \leq sin(n)/n \leq 1/n[/tex]
    Sorry for the symbol, I misspelled it, since I don't cover LaTeX too good at this moment.
    Thanks for the help.

6. Nov 13, 2008 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

For future reference, in LaTex, [itex]\infty[/itex] is "\infty". [itex]\propto[/itex] is "\propto", i.e. "proportional to".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?