Limit of one exponential function

In summary, the limit of x^k*e^-ax^n for x to infinity, where a, k, and n are positive real numbers, can be found by considering the ratio of x^k and e^ax^n and applying the De L'Hopital's rule. This is because e^-x falls to zero much faster than x^n climbs to infinity. This is proven by the power series expansion of e^x, which shows that the limit is equal to infinity.
mnb96
Hello,
How can I find the limit of [tex]x^{k}\mathrm{e}^{-ax^n}[/tex] for [itex]x\to +\infty[/itex].
a,k,n are positive reals.
I even have troubles solving it for k=1, a=1, n=2.
Any hint?

Physics news on Phys.org
e^x grows faster than any power of x. That's the really important thing here.

Thanks, I've heard that explanation somewhere but:

- Can you please formally specify what you mean by "grows faster".

- And also, is there a theorem that proves something about the fact that if one function grows faster than the other, it somehow "wins".
Here x goes to infinity, and exp goes to zero. It's not trivial to deduce that the limit is zero.

Now that's a good question... I don't know the specific theorem (although I know there is one), but I mean to say that, for example, and this is actually not exactly formal anyway, that e^-x will fall to zero much faster than x^n will climb to infinity. I'm not sure how to put that formally...

The formal statement would be something like:

"Let two functions f(x) and g(x) be given, and let a be some common boundary point of their domain. We say that f(x) tends to zero faster than g(x) if the limit of f(x) / g(x) as x tends to a is zero."

If you want to get really formal, you may want to check out the "Big oh" (and related little o) notation.

Now I am thinking, could it be this way?
We consider [itex]f(x)=x^k[/itex] and [itex]g(x)=\mathrm{e}^{ax^n}[/itex].

Consider [itex]f(x)/g(x)[/itex] and apply the De L'Hopital's rule?

Yes that will work.

Char. Limit said:
Now that's a good question... I don't know the specific theorem (although I know there is one), but I mean to say that, for example, and this is actually not exactly formal anyway, that e^-x will fall to zero much faster than x^n will climb to infinity. I'm not sure how to put that formally...
It's very easy to prove
[tex]\lim_{x\to\infty}e^{-x}x^n=0.[/tex]
Just consider the power series expansion of exp.
[tex]\frac{e^x}{x^n}=\frac{1+x+\frac{x^2}{2!}+...}{x^n}=\underbrace{\frac{1}{x^n}}_{\to 0}+\underbrace{\frac{1}{x^{n-1}}}_{\to 0}+\underbrace{...}_{\to 0}+\frac{1}{n!}+\frac{x}{(n+1)!}+...\ \ \to\infty.[/tex]

Last edited:
I thought the Taylor series would unlock it... thanks for the help.

1. What is the limit of one exponential function as x approaches infinity?

The limit of one exponential function as x approaches infinity is infinity. This means that the function will continue to increase without bound as x gets larger and larger.

2. How do you find the limit of one exponential function?

To find the limit of one exponential function, you can use the rules of logarithms and exponentials to simplify the function. Then, you can plug in the value that x is approaching to determine the limit.

3. Can the limit of one exponential function be negative?

Yes, the limit of one exponential function can be negative. This can happen if the base of the exponential function is a fraction or if the function is multiplied by a negative number.

4. What is the difference between the limit of one exponential function and the value of the function at a specific x-value?

The limit of one exponential function is the value that the function approaches as x gets closer and closer to a specific value. The value of the function at a specific x-value is the actual output of the function when that value is plugged in.

5. Can the limit of one exponential function be undefined?

Yes, the limit of one exponential function can be undefined. This can happen if the function has a vertical asymptote or if the limit does not exist due to oscillation or other factors.