Limit of sin(x)cos(x)/x as x approaches 0?

  • Thread starter Thread starter jog511
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Limit
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 20K views
jog511
Messages
23
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


lim x->0 sinxcosx/x


Homework Equations


lim x->0 sinx/x = 1



The Attempt at a Solution


Pretty sure I need to use above property but I believe cosx/x is undef.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
jog511 said:

Homework Statement


lim x->0 sinxcosx/x


Homework Equations


lim x->0 sinx/x = 1



The Attempt at a Solution


Pretty sure I need to use above property but I believe cosx/x is undef.

Recall the identity [itex]\sin(2x) = 2\sin x \cos x[/itex].
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person
Or write it as$$
\frac {\sin x} x \cdot \cos x$$
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person
That's the simplest way to do it but using pasmith's suggestion, since sin(2x)= 2sin(x)cos(x), sin(x)cos(x)= sin(2x)/x so that sin(x)cos(x)/x= sin(2x)/2x. Now let u= 2x. As x goes to 0, so does u= 2x and we have
[tex]\lim_{x\to 0} \frac{sin(x)cos(x)}{x}= \lim_{u\to 0}\frac{sin(u)}{u}= 1[/tex].
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person