1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limit of (sqrt(x) - 2)(x-4) as x approaches 4 from the left

1. Jul 10, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 4^{-}}\frac{\sqrt{x}-2}{x-4}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    Well, I used a calculator to substitute arbitrary values to see what it appears to approach.

input | output
    2 .293
    3 .268
    3.5 .258
    3.9 .252

So I concluded that the the limiting value is in fact .25.. and I was wrong. How do I evaluate this?

Last edited: Jul 10, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 10, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

Re: Limit

Use L'Hospital's rule.
  4. Jul 10, 2008 #3

Thank you, I got it.
  5. Jul 10, 2008 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

A fairly standard way of handling a problem like that, and simpler than apply L'Hopital's rule is to rationalize the numerator. Multiplying both numerator and denominator by [itex]\sqrt{x}+ 2[/itex] you get
    [tex]\frac{(\sqrt{x}-2)(\sqrt{x}+2)}{(x-4)(\sqrt{x}+2)}= \frac{x- 4}{(x-4)(\sqrt{x}+ 2)}[/tex]
    which, for x> 4, is
    [tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{x}+ 2}[/tex]
    Of course, the limit of that, as x goes to 2, is the same as the limit of the original problem.
  6. Jul 10, 2008 #5

Yeah, that is what I did. I'm not up to the rule yet. Thanks again halls of ivy.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?