[limit point proof]: L(aub)=l(a)ul(b)

In summary, the conversation discusses the task of proving that the set of limit points of a union of two sets is equal to the union of the sets' individual limit points. The individual attempting the solution suggests starting with the definition of a limit point and recognizing that both sides must be subsets of each other. They also mention the need to prove both inclusions to establish the equality.
jvt05

Homework Statement

Let L(X) denote the set of limit points of a set X in R^n. How do I prove that L(AUB)=L(A)UL(B)?

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that I have to prove that both sides are subsets of each other, but I have no clue how to start...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
So the standard form of an argument goes like: let [itex]x \in L(A \cup B)[/itex]. Then... what does x satisfy (i.e. what is the definition of a limit point of a set X)?

Remember that if you want to prove a sets equality, you have to prove both inclusions. En this case, there is a trivial inclusion (which?).

1. What is a limit point?

A limit point is a point in a set where every neighborhood of that point contains at least one other point in the set. This means that the point is arbitrarily close to other points in the set.

2. What is a limit point proof?

A limit point proof is a mathematical proof that shows that a given point is a limit point of a set. It involves showing that every neighborhood of the point contains another point in the set.

3. What does L(aub) = l(a)ul(b) mean?

This equation is a limit point theorem that states that the limit of the sum of two functions is equal to the sum of the individual limits. In other words, if the functions have a limit at a particular point, then the sum of the functions also has a limit at that point.

4. How is the limit point proof useful in mathematics?

The limit point proof is useful in mathematics because it allows us to determine whether a given point is a limit point of a set. This is important in many areas of math, such as real analysis and topology, where limit points are used to define important concepts like continuity and compactness.

5. Can the limit point theorem be extended to more than two functions?

Yes, the limit point theorem can be extended to any number of functions. It states that if all the functions have a limit at a given point, then the limit of the sum of those functions is equal to the sum of the individual limits.