1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limit Proof with Rational Functions

1. Aug 30, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If r is a rational function, use Exercise 57 to show that ##\mathop {\lim }\limits_{x \to a} \space r(x) = r(a)## for every number a in the domain of r.

Exercise 57 in this book is: if p is a polynomial, show that ##\mathop {\lim }\limits_{x \to a} \space p(x) = p(a)##.

2. Relevant equations

Limit Laws #5 (in this textbook): ##\mathop {\lim }\limits_{x \to a} \frac{f(x)}{g(x)} = \frac{\mathop {\lim }\limits_{x \to a} \space f(x)}{\mathop {\lim }\limits_{x \to a} \space g(x)} \space if \space \mathop {\lim }\limits_{x \to a} \space g(x) ≠ 0##

3. The attempt at a solution

A rational function is defined as ##\frac{p(x)}{g(x)}## where ##p(x)## and ##g(x)## are polynomials, so ##r(x)## can be written as ##\frac{p(x)}{g(x)}##.
    Therefore ##\mathop {\lim }\limits_{x \to a} \space r(x) = \mathop {\lim }\limits_{x \to a} \space \frac{p(x)}{g(x)}## where ##p(x)## and ##g(x)## are polynomials.
    By the limit laws, ##\mathop {\lim }\limits_{x \to a} \space \frac{p(x)}{g(x)} = \frac{\mathop {\lim }\limits_{x \to a} \space p(x)}{\mathop {\lim }\limits_{x \to a} \space g(x)} \space if \space \mathop {\lim }\limits_{x \to a} \space g(x) ≠ 0##, which is true for all a in the domain of r.
    From Exercise 57, ##\mathop {\lim }\limits_{x \to a} \space p(x) = p(a)## and ##\mathop {\lim }\limits_{x \to a} \space g(x) = g(a)## (since ##p(x)## and ##g(x)## are both polynomials).
    So ##\mathop {\lim }\limits_{x \to a} \space r(x) = \frac{p(a)}{g(a)} = r(a)## for every a in the domain of r.

I'm worried that I didn't address the possibility of a not being in the domain of r enough, and I don't have confidence in my wording. Is what I have okay?

Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 30, 2012 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It looks fine to me. You should probably observe that for every ##a## in domain ##r##, ##g(a)\ne 0##.

4. Aug 30, 2012 #3
    I amended the third line of the proof to incorporate that. Thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook