Limit to number of standing waves in pipes?

In summary, the frequency of each higher harmonic in pipes increases linearly with the fundamental frequency, and pipes closed at one end skip the even harmonics. However, frequency is inversely proportional to wavelength, so each successive harmonic has a smaller wavelength. There is likely a limit to how small a wavelength can be, but it may be too high-pitched for the human ear to hear.
eknox123

Homework Statement

This is a conceptual question I had not related to a specific problem- so I know with each higher harmonic in pipes that the frequency increases a certain amount (the fundamental frequency- and that in pipes closed at one end skips the even harmonics). However I also know that frequency is inversely proportionate to wavelength. So each successive harmonic has a smaller wavelength. But since there's a limit (I assume) to how small a wavelength can be, does each pipe have its own limit in terms of the number of harmonics that can be made in it?

Homework Equations

v= wavelength * frequency

The Attempt at a Solution

As I wrote above, I'm guessing there is a limit- like the highest harmonic is the one with the lowest non-zero wavelength (that will be the highest frequency), but I'm not sure if my class is oversimplifying it, and really there are exceptions or something

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi eknox123! welcome to pf! :wink:
eknox123 said:
… frequency is inversely proportionate to wavelength. So each successive harmonic has a smaller wavelength. But since there's a limit (I assume) to how small a wavelength can be, does each pipe have its own limit in terms of the number of harmonics that can be made in it?

i suppose that when you get near the molecular level, the random thermal vibrations predominate, and the equations stop working, and so you can't have wavelengths shorter than that …

but I'm guessing that's a lot higher-pitched than any ear can hear! :smile:

What is a standing wave in a pipe?

A standing wave in a pipe is a type of sound wave that occurs when two waves with the same frequency and amplitude travel in opposite directions and interfere with each other, creating a pattern of nodes and antinodes within the pipe.

What determines the number of standing waves in a pipe?

The number of standing waves in a pipe is determined by the length and shape of the pipe, as well as the speed of sound in the medium inside the pipe.

Is there a limit to the number of standing waves in a pipe?

Yes, there is a limit to the number of standing waves in a pipe. This limit is determined by the length of the pipe and the wavelength of the sound waves, which must fit within the pipe in order for a standing wave to form.

How does the diameter of a pipe affect the number of standing waves?

The diameter of a pipe does not directly affect the number of standing waves, but it can indirectly impact the number by changing the speed of sound in the medium inside the pipe.

Can the number of standing waves change in a pipe?

Yes, the number of standing waves in a pipe can change if the length or shape of the pipe is altered, or if the speed of sound in the medium changes. Additionally, external factors such as temperature and humidity can also affect the formation of standing waves in a pipe.