Limit to number of standing waves in pipes?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
eknox123
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


This is a conceptual question I had not related to a specific problem- so I know with each higher harmonic in pipes that the frequency increases a certain amount (the fundamental frequency- and that in pipes closed at one end skips the even harmonics). However I also know that frequency is inversely proportionate to wavelength. So each successive harmonic has a smaller wavelength. But since there's a limit (I assume) to how small a wavelength can be, does each pipe have its own limit in terms of the number of harmonics that can be made in it?


Homework Equations


v= wavelength * frequency


The Attempt at a Solution


As I wrote above, I'm guessing there is a limit- like the highest harmonic is the one with the lowest non-zero wavelength (that will be the highest frequency), but I'm not sure if my class is oversimplifying it, and really there are exceptions or something
 
Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi eknox123! welcome to pf! :wink:
eknox123 said:
… frequency is inversely proportionate to wavelength. So each successive harmonic has a smaller wavelength. But since there's a limit (I assume) to how small a wavelength can be, does each pipe have its own limit in terms of the number of harmonics that can be made in it?

i suppose that when you get near the molecular level, the random thermal vibrations predominate, and the equations stop working, and so you can't have wavelengths shorter than that …

but I'm guessing that's a lot higher-pitched than any ear can hear! :smile:​